Monday, August 4, 2014

Bode: first front tooth, gone!



Dear Bode,
Your front tooth has been wiggly, dangly, jiggly and just scary-looking-loose for about a month.  Sometimes, you remind me of a character on The Simpsons, because this front tooth of yours will jut out at a dramatic angle.  It makes me absolutely squeamish to look at this tooth. It has been a long month of me trying to school my face to "neutral" and not alarm you about your tooth.  And forget about brushing it! I was so nervous every time I put the toothbrush to that particular tooth, just waiting for it to go flying out at the slightest pressure.

Well, I am happy to report that the tooth fell out! This morning we went to the mall to do some back -to-school shopping for shoes.  We stopped at Starbucks afterward for a treat.  You were eating a ham/egg/cheese sandwich and you announced, "I think my tooth came out."  Well, I didn't react because you've been thinking that your tooth has come out several times over the past month.  But then you stuck your palm out, and there it was: your front tooth.

I smiled and congratulated you.  Then I gave you a hug, and while I was hugging you, I started to cry.  It made me feel so happy and so sad (at the same time) to see that tooth gone!  You are getting so big.  "Hey," you said, as a tear dropped on your cheek, "You're crying!"  I told you that I was only crying from happiness, because I was so happy for you.  You smiled big,  and that gap where the loose tooth used to taunt me? It looks so big and empty now.  

On the drive home, you kept poking your finger into the gap and telling me what you were doing.  We talked about how a big boy tooth was going to move into that spot.   I think you are really happy now that it's gone.  I think it was a bit of a preoccupation and a worry.  So now you are kind of relieved to get that out of the way. 

I'm going to enjoy your smile these days with your missing front tooth.  You've always had a great smile, and today, it is as beautiful as ever!
Love, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment