Monday, December 9, 2013

The brown-haired Grandma

December 8, 2011
When Bode and Gianna were little, my mom loved gifting them stuffed bears and other seasonal animals from the Build-A-Bear store.  Inside each one, she recorded a message, usually along the lines of, "Hi Bode! It's Grandma! I love you!"

When my mom died, one of the first things I thought of was these stuffed animals.  I knew that I could not bear to hear my mom's cheerful voice ringing through the playroom.  So I told RWF to please "get rid of" the stuffed animals.  He did by bagging them all up and sticking them in a closet.

One stuffed toy found its way out during our move. It was a Frosty the Snowman.  Frosty's hat plays a magical jingle (signifying when he comes to life) and lights up.  The children love it.  Frosty also has a recording of my mom, but I didn't remember until Bode pressed Frosty's hand. My mom's voice announced, "Merry Christmas, Bode! It's Grandma. I love you!"

As you can guess,  hearing my mom's voice jarred me.  It made me sad. I wanted to throw away Frosty immediately before Bode could play the recording again.

Bode looked surprise. Then he guffawed, "Grandma!"  He then turned to me and asked, "Which Grandma is it, the brown-haired Grandma or the white-haired Grandma?"

You guys. This question made me so happy.

The fact that he remembered my mom having brown hair*! He hasn't seen her in forever. And honestly, I have not talked about my mom in the last couple of years since she died.  It's too hard. When you have kids, I've discovered, you really want your parents to enjoy their grandchildren. And, you want your kids to enjoy their grandparents.  The fact that my children will never know my parents is something I will always regret.

Bode remembered that he has a brown-haired grandma. It makes me so happy. And one day, I'll be able to talk to him about my mom and tell him all about her.

Thank you, Bode, for taking a sad moment and turning it into a happy one.

And to our brown-haired Grandma: we love you.

Happy Monday, all.
xo

*as my sibs know, my mom didn't really have brown hair...but the color is close in Bode's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment