Monday, January 20, 2014

Nico: 16 months



Dear Nico,
Tomorrow you turn 16 months old.  You are growing, growing, growing...but in my mind, you're still my little baby!  Lucky for me, you're happy to go along as my little baby.  You don't mind being carried and you don't mind snuggling in the chair with your mommy.


You are always smiling.  You charm so many people when we are out and about, just with your happy smile.  It makes me happy to see that you bring a little joy to others.  It's like I'm carrying around the lucky charm, bringing happiness everywhere we go.




Your obsession right now is shoes.  You love putting on your shoes. If you don't have shoes on, you'll go find a pair and bring them to me. "Nah?" you'll ask or state emphatically.  I'll put the shoes on your little feet, but sometimes explain that we aren't going outside.  

Your other obsession is going outside.  You love getting dressed in your jacket (and your shoes!) and going outside. You walk around, sometimes on stilt-like legs, looking at everything. March, march, march. You go around, getting in more mileage every day. You're interested in all the different surfaces: grass, gravel, dirt, wood chips and concrete.  At first, you were naturally cautious about any new surface, and would pause before making the step onto something new.  But now, you pretty much keep moving no matter if the terrain changes. On steps, you are wary and will not step down anywhere (thank goodness!).  



You love playing games with your brother and sister.  Or, they love playing games around you.  A favorite game is "The Nico Monster."  Bode and Gianna will be doing something ordinary, and suddenly, one of them will announce, "Oh, no! It's the Nico Monster!" Then the two of them take off running and shrieking.  You'll follow behind slowly, Frankenstein-walking after them, while they run through the house as if you are a terrifying beast set on devouring them in one gulp.  Another game is the vacuum cleaner.  This is a game that I have played with Bode and Gianna since long before you.  I chase them with the vacuum cleaner, or they will slowly creep around me while I'm vacuuming, and I'll try to suck them with the hose attachment of the vacuum. They shriek and run away, and then come back for more. Well now, you're in on the action. You'll walk right up to me as soon as I get the vacuum out, smiling broadly, daring me, just waiting for me to put the hose attachment up to your tummy and 'get you' before you start running off.  Bath time is always a favorite with you. I'll ask you if you want to take a bath and you'll respond, "Bah? Bah?" while toddling straight to the bathroom.  And of course, baths are even more fun if your brother and sister are splashing in the tub with you.






You eat a lot of different foods these days but cereal and Goldfish crackers are your two most requested snack foods. You know to point to what you want, and I won't refuse anything you want.



"Shey shey" is your special name that Gianna calls you.  I think it is fitting that it sounds like "xie xie" in Mandarin, which means, "thank you." At least, that is what I think of when she says it.  You are a gift to me.  You'll never know how much your presence helps me through life right now.  I'm always thankful for you, a wonderful little addition to our family...our little "xie xie."

Love,
Mommy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment