Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday

Gianna on her birthday last year

Our week officially starts on Tuesday, I think.  It seems like the official start to the week because the children start school on Tuesdays.  So Monday night is my "Sunday" night - full of dread and preparation for the week ahead.  I always thought that when I was older, that the Sunday night blues would magically go away, because then I wouldn't be facing a week of school and homework.  Au contraire! When you get older, it gets worse, because the Sunday night before school blues are replaced with the Sunday night before work blues.  And when you have children, you just multiply the work by how many children you have and there you are...it never ends.


School lunches have been easy.  I'm lucky, because I have easy eaters.  I have found the magic formula for Bode and Gianna and make the same lunch almost every day.  There have been little complaints. In fact, they are pretty matter-of-fact about what I should not pack, and will tell me in their 'lunch review' after school.  "Mom, don't pack me bananas," Bode might say, "only blueberries."  And Gianna will tell me, "I don't want celery sticks, only carrots."  Easy.  But still, every Tuesday morning, I'll be sitting down, enjoying a much-needed cup of coffee when "lunch boxes" seizes me.  I abandon my hot coffee and start to work on lunches:  a Sunbutter sandwich for Bode, blueberries, and pretzels.  For Gianna: a cheese wrap (shred ched in a tortilla) or pasta salad (rotini pasta, olive oil, peas, and Parm), black olives, Goldfish crackers, and (sometimes) carrots.  


It is time for school re-enrollment for the children, and I'm at a loss.  Their current teacher has emailed me a few times, asking me when we can sit down and do the contract signing.  Last night, as part of my dreaded Sunday/Monday night before school dread, I summoned the courage to reply to her email. I told her that we are not settled and are looking for a new home. I told her that while I love the school, I can't sign a contract until I know where we will live. It was hard to send that email, but I'm glad that I did.  Maybe this will help move us in the right direction (whatever direction that will be). We are looking at two schools: Bode and Gianna's current school and another school that will require a move. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm searching for a new house.  I feel at the 'whim' of something outside myself, maybe the real estate market. It's not a peaceful place to be, feeling like you're at the mercy of something almost intangible.  A bunch of decisions can be made once we figure out where we live.  


Gianna's teacher wants to do a home visit and discuss all-things-Gianna with me.  Unfortunately, I have little interest in this discussion right now, because I don't know if she'll even be around for Gianna in the coming school year.  Isn't that horrible?  While I welcome the chance to discuss my daughter, and hear her teacher's insights, I feel like it is fleeting and unnecessary, especially when there are so many other things I can spend time doing.  (I know that there is nothing of concern to address, as her teacher has already assured me that Gianna is doing beautifully!). And speaking of Gianna, I would like to do my own little update.  I feel like with Nico being "the baby" and Bode having many issues these days, I have ignored my precious snowflake Gianna. So tomorrow I will provide some thoughts on what Miss Mia is all about these days.

Stay tuned!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment