Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nico: 13 months



Dear Nico,

Two nights ago, while I was getting your brother and sister ready for bed, you stood up and walked 5 steps.  Nobody was paying attention, but I just happen to look over at you when I saw you rise up on your feet. I was standing in the doorway and I watched you take these first 5 steps. And then you plopped down on your bottom. You looked over and we smiled at each other. I walked over to you and gave you a big hug and asked you to do it again.  I stood you up about an arm's length away. And you walked toward me, smiling the whole time.  You fell into my arms and I squeezed you so hard. I was so happy for you. The way you let me squeeze you told me that you were pretty proud of yourself, too. 


Yesterday, I was in the office paying a bill when I heard a slap-slap-slap.  You yelled, "AAANNH!" Slap-slap-slap.   I walked out to investigate. You were on top of the stairs, slapping the floor and yelling "AAANNH!" You looked at me and slapped the floor. You wanted to know how to get down.  I ran (soooo fast) up the stairs and told you that you would not be learning to climb down the stairs any time soon.  And I told myself that I would not be leaving you alone anymore, either. 

You are drinking almond milk from a bottle, and water from a sippy cup.  This has not been an easy transition. Someone suggested that I skip the bottle completely and go straight to the sippy cup. But after thinking about it, and consulting some of our family "experts," we stuck with a bottle. It seems to be working out. Hopefully this dairy allergy will go away, because I miss cheese!!!  And I'd hate for you to miss out on eating cheese one day, too. Already your diet is pretty basic and bland.Without the "dairy" group, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to feed you most days.

You are sounding out "words," in Nico-speak.  You seem to know "bye bye," "bath," "Gianna," and "out" or at least I seem to know what you mean when you are babbling.




You love hanging outside with your brother and sister.  You are by far the fastest in the developmental milestones. And we know this is because of Bode and Gianna. You can't wait to be a part of their play.


Sleep has been difficult this past month. You're getting your top two teeth in at the same time.  You've also been sick with a snotty nose-cough-cold. No fun for a little baby like you!  I try to enjoy the quiet hours with you in the middle of the night. But I would love to see you sleeping through the night, too.


You are now 13 months.  And you are every bit a good baby as you were on the day you were born.  Thank you for the love and smiles, Nico. You are such a joy.

Love,
Mommy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment