Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lately...

I've been searching high and low for a (new) house.  It has been frustrating, disheartening and just plain exhausting.  It takes a lot of time to search houses.  We usually look at listings in the evening, after the children are in bed.  If I find something of interest (and the right price),  I'll drive by and scout out the area the next morning while the children are at school (with Nico riding in the car).  That is usually where the interest ends.     As you probably know, most photos of houses portray their best features.  It isn't until you drive up and see the junkyard across the street, or the broken-down fence attached to the yard. Also, Portland is weird, in that houses are just jammed together. And not only are they jammed together, but you will find houses behind you, in front of you and beside you.  For example, the front of our house faces the back of another house (and the back of our house faces another house...).  So we look into our neighbor's backyard.  It's just weird to me. I have not had much luck finding a mix of a good house and good location (and price).

So the search continues!



Gianna is going through a phase.  My little chickadee is spreading her wings, both metaphorically and physically.  She is more brave, riding her bike down the big hill like her brother. And she is being a bit...sassy.  I think it is because she is on the cusp of turning 4.  She has been talking back to me.  Most of the time, I remember that this is not Gianna, but a phase that she is going through at the moment.  Other times, I lose it and yell right  back at her.  But no matter what, we always have quiet time together where we talk about things, and work things out. 

Kate & Gianna at the May Day celebration

This morning, she woke up and went into my bedroom before 6 AM.  "Is it time to wake up yet?"  she whispered in the loudest voice possible (to "whisper" in).  I pulled back my covers to invite her in, and she jumped in and snuggled up next to me.  Without any preamble, she started telling me about her girl friends at school. They are a threesome, and they are so cute together. Two of her friends, Kate* and Ella, were not liking each other yesterday, and clearly this was something on Gianna's mind.  I got a flash of when she is older, and things like this are happening. I hope that she can always talk to me.  Even though lately she can be hard to handle, she brings me to my knees almost every day by (spontaneously)  declaring, "I'll love you forever!" or "I want to love you forever, Mama!"


I am still planning a birthday party for her. Location, date, and time still TBD.  (ai yi yi!)  The theme, of course, is still "pink princess."




Bode is doing well.  It's funny because he and Gianna have kind of switched places.  Where Gianna is sassy and testing limits, Bode has mellowed and seems self-sufficient right now.  It's been really fun to watch him deal with Gianna during a meltdown. It is almost like he knows what is going on, and tries to talk her through it.  One morning, Gianna wanted to wear a sundress on a cool day, and I said No.  This escalating into tears and yelling through the house.  RWF and I both tried to reason with her, and since that had not worked, we resorted to just telling her "NO."  Bode was the one who stepped in, found another dress in her closet and suggested it as a possibility. He presented it to her, "Here, Gianna, why don't you wear this pretty dress?"  It was so sweet, and also, eye opening...like, "Oh yeah, why didn't we (adults) think of that?"  Bode is now in a good place at school, and seems to enjoy the routine and his friends.  It's disappointing that the school year is about to end.  Most of the boys in Bode's class will not be returning to this school.


Speaking of school,  I've decided to stay with their current school. Both RWF and I have seen remarkable things with Bode and Gianna, and feel like this has been a good place for them.  So we are staying!  I signed a contract last week and I feel good about this decision.


Nico sez, "Your cracker bribe will no longer work!"


Nico is a happy little camper.  He loves his boots, being outside, and reading!  He has turned a corner on books, and is now obsessed.  He loves to sit and read, and will demand that I "ree" to him all the time.  Every night, I sit in the rocker with him and read three (usually more) books.  It is our special time, and I love it.  I love that he enjoys books right now. And I love that we have something "close" to do together that does not involve nursing.  I was afraid that weaning him meant that our being close was going to end (at least for awhile, because I was afraid of sending him mixed signals).  He is growing, in that he is no longer content to just sit and watch the sidelines.  Bode and Gianna have a few activities that we do during the week.  This means that Nico has to sit tight for an hour.  Well, it's getting harder to contain him.  I try bribing him with snacks and sometimes that works.  But I don't know how I'm going to get through this summer! Bode and Gianna have swim lessons every morning from June through August. They will also have other lessons, most likely gymnastics and ballet. Nico is 'done' with sitting in the stroller.

Speaking of summer, I have to figure out how to fill the hours once Bode and Gianna are out of school.  I have enrolled them in swim lessons, which are every day in the morning, but that leaves the rest of the day.  Camps are kind of out of the question, since I've committed them to swim lessons in the morning. Big "Oops" on my part, once I realized that I had messed that up. I'm still on the hunt for an afternoon camp. It would be great if I could find something for them both to do together, or at least at the same time(s). But I've found that most camps go "all day," or at least, start in the morning and end after lunch.

Everyone is doing well at this almost six-month mark of our move to Portland.  Six months!!!

I just wish that I could find a good house.  I am a bit obsessed, and I have to admit that the housing situation is coloring a lot of everything for me.  I can check the school off my list. Now the house is left.  Wish me luck!
xo

*Random trivia: Gianna's name was almost Kate.  It was number 2 on my list, after Mia (number 1!).  We tried it on her while in the hospital...it was so close that one of my sisters actually congratulated me on the birth of "Kate!" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment