Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Do you know about the red poppies that are sold by disabled vets?  When I was a little girl, my mom always bought them.  I didn't know much about it, but I liked wearing the red paper flower with the thin green wire stem on my lapel.  Today, they are still made and sold by vets.  But I haven't seen them since I was a little girl.



They have an official name, Buddy Poppy. You can learn more about them here.  On this page there is also the poem, In Flander's Field, which I remember reading in elementary school.  Again, I didn't know what the poem was about at the time, but I remember feeling that this poem was about something very important and getting goosebumps. I still get goosebumps reading it today. 

To everyone who served, and to everyone who is serving our country today:  thank you, thank you.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment