Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween!



I had high hopes for Halloween. They were quickly dashed yesterday morning.  Our baby sitter "surprised" Bode by walking into the house with a monster mask on! (She lets herself into the house early a.m. because I am usually occupied.)  

So there Bode was, sitting at the dining room table eating breakfast by himself when a "monster" walks through the door. 

He screamed so loud. I ran out of the room. Bode was running toward me. We crashed into each other. He was in tears and screaming.  I had no idea what had happened. I did know by his scream that it was a "scared" scream and not a "hurt" scream (yay for mother's ear!).  

Then, our baby sitter turned the corner, looking sheepish and holding up a monster mask.  Bode screamed some more. 

(I was so angry at the baby sitter.  I have no idea what she was thinking! But, I guess she wasn't thinking!)

I sat with Bode, wiping tears and talking about Halloween, masks, costumes and trick or treating.  Bode was so upset and swore off Halloween for the year.

Here are some pics from yesterday:

Gianna, being a "ham" for Halloween
Nico, in a "Brooke" costume

Lil' monster

At first, after the "monster scare," Bode said that he didn't want to go to school. I was worried that he didn't want to go because he was afraid to drive to school with the baby sitter/monster.  He finally left for school (and arrived at school about 30 minutes late).   At school, his teacher read a sweet Halloween story, "Five Little Pumpkins" (we have a copy at home) and they did a Halloween craft.  Bode came home with his creation - a pumpkin that he painted with glitter paint.



My pumpkin
Bode's pumpkin

Ham

Ham & Cheese

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

I tried talking about Halloween with Bode again.  But Bode wasn't interested in Halloween at all. He didn't even want to wear his costume around the house.  We sat and watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" as our Halloween fun.

Nico napped, and I was able to make dinner. Hooray!

I made homemade chicken "nuggets" (chicken breasts, cut into strips and breaded), mac & cheese, and broccoli.

While I was making the mac & cheese, I thought of my childhood Halloweens' past.  Every Halloween, my mom made hot dogs and mac & cheese for dinner. I think it was a "night off" for her that she probably really looked forward to, because my mom rarely took a night off from cooking.  I remember sitting at the dinner table, in front of a kid's dream meal, and not being able to eat a bite. I was SO EXCITED to go trick-or-treating that I couldn't eat a single bite. I remember my mom asking me to just eat "three bites," and then "two bites" and then, "one bite" and me, whining back, "I don't want to," or "I can't!"  I was so excited that I really could not eat.  I remember the excitement of the night, consumed with thoughts of what was just outside our front door waiting for me (trick-or-treat! candy! costumes! being outside!).  I remember how hard it was for me to sit there until my mom gave up and told me that I was excused.  I'm going to try to remember that feeling. I will try to remember it the next time that Bode, Gianna or Nico (or all three) have an exciting activity that prevents them from eating. I'll try to skip the "one bite" negotiations, and just let them go.

Maybe next year, we'll be sitting around the dinner table and none of my children will eat dinner, too excited with anticipation of their first trick-or-treat.
Happy Halloween!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment