Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving

This year, we celebrated Thanksgiving a little early.  I roasted a turkey breast, cooked green beans, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, black olives and pumpkin pie (store bought).  I have to say, I have no idea how I pulled this off with 3 children! I was so nervous about getting it all done, and surprising RWF.  And I did!!!  Thanks to Nico for napping like a champ on Saturday, and to Bode and Gianna for playing so well on their own.  I think I really surprised RWF, too. 

I didn't snap any pics of dinner. I was just so happy sitting at the table, surrounded by my family and with good food to eat.  There were some mental snaps that I took, like the one of Gianna stealing olives off of RWF's plate.  She was so funny. She got out of her high chair, walked over to his side of the table and without even looking at RWF, took one olive off of his plate, ate it, took another olive, ate it and repeated until they were all gone. RWF looked incredulous and asked me, "Do you see this?"  Yes, I do and it is hilarious.  Another mental snapshot would be when I served everyone a piece of pumpkin pie.  I turned to grab napkins, and when I passed them out, I saw that Bode had picked up the pie in his hands and started eating it, pointy side first.  And then Gianna followed her big brother's lead. And then RWF said, "When in Rome," and picked up his pie with his hands and ate it.  (I ate mine with a fork.)

As our usual custom, we went around the table and each person said one (or more) thing that they are grateful for.  Then we stated which food of the Thanksgiving meal was our favorite.   RWF stated that he loved the sweet potatoes, but also thought the brussels sprouts were good, too. I said that the brussels sprouts were my favorite.  Bode said that he liked the turkey the best.  And Gianna couldn't/wouldn't tell us  her favorite, but judging by how much she ate, we think it was the sweet potatoes (or, olives!).

It was a nice little weekend.

Watching "the game" after Thanksgiving.

In other news, Nico is getting so big!  He weighs 12 lbs 2 oz now.  Bode had an appointment with the pediatrician on Thursday. I snuck Nico onto the baby scale when nobody was looking (so, he was also clothed instead of bare naked).  I was dying to know how much he weighs.  He certainly feels heavier these days.  He has more 'heft' when I lift him. He does not fit so neatly on my chest when I burp him.  But he is oh-so-snuggly still, and I just adore him!

Sunday morning Nico and I lounged in bed a little longer than normal.  Bode joined us.  Nico just adores Bode, and always gives him smiles.   I think  he knows that Bode is special.  And then RWF came in from working out and joined us. We talked about our day ahead, and it was a great way to start the morning. I'd love it if all our mornings started out that way.

Gianna started riding her bike this past week. And now, that is all she wants to do. "Ride bike! Ride bike? Ride bike? Go ride bike!"  It is really cute. 

I am SO BIG! RAWR!


Twins
Triplets

Friday, I was thankful to one of Bode's teachers for talking to me.  There I was, nervous (again!) about Bode, toes gripping the edge, feeling my way with my back against the wall, fearful and tearful, and his teacher talked me down from the ledge, in her low, soothing voice. And my dear friend in Texas calmed me, too, when I confided in her.  This was all done over email, but even still, I could hear her voice and it was just like we were sitting across from each other. Everything is okay...just the normal nerves that come (and go) with being a mommy. We mommies have to stick together!

Friday afternoon, I was feeding Nico and my feet were bare and freezing.  I asked the baby sitter if she had seen my socks (because I had kicked them off earlier).  She said that she had not and went on her way. A few minutes later, she came back with a clean pair of socks, and put them on my feet for me. And then she gave my feet a vigorous rubbing to warm them up completely. It was such a sweet, unexpected gesture. 

And that is just a sampling of what I am thankful for this past week.  I am looking forward to this week, the actual Thanksgiving Day countdown begins!  I am lucky because I get two Thanksgivings this year! 
Are you ready for Thanksgiving?
Happy Monday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment