Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Independence Day!




Over the July 4th weekend, Bode surprised me by riding his bike on his own!

I drove up in the car, and Bode was on the swing outside. I walked up to him and asked him what was wrong (because he looked upset).  He said, "nothing," and then asked me to help him ride his bike.  Well. I was tired and hot (having just returned from the grocery store - quelle nightmare!).  But seeing him look so down, I said, "Yes, of course!"  And I helped him on his bike.  When Bode's grandmother gifted him this big boy bike over a year ago, RWF immediately took the training wheels off.  So whenever Bode wants to ride the big boy bike, it requires an adult to hold the handlebars and the seat while Bode "rides" (sometimes pedaling, sometimes not).  

So, we walked around the driveway, with Bode getting the feel for the pedals.  And then he was smiling again!  He said, "Let go, Mommy."  I wasn't sure I had heard him. "What?" I asked.  He smiled, "Let go."  "Are you sure?" I asked.  "Let go, Mommy!"  So I did. And he rode on his own.  "Bode! You're doing it! Bode! You're riding by yourself!"  I couldn't believe it.  I was so happy and shocked.  He looked so happy.  I ran alongside him until he wanted to stop.  I looked at him and said, "I can't believe it."  He was still smiling, "What?"  I sighed and said, "I can't believe that you're riding a bike by yourself. I'm so proud of you!"  And then of course, I started crying.  I stared at him while my eyes filled up.  He looked concerned, "Why are you crying, Mommy?"  I told him that I was crying happy tears, and that I was crying because I was so proud of him for riding his bike. I stood there, with the sun beating down on us and my firstborn staring up at me. I thought about Bode as a baby, and I thought about milestones and events in his life. Some things that I can remember and others that I can not.  I wanted to remember this one.

Then, Bode took off again around the driveway.  I went to RWF and said, "Can you believe it?"  He looked incredulous, "Are you CRYING?"  "I just can't believe it...can you believe it?"  He shrugged, "Well, we've been practicing..."  

My boy is riding his big boy bike! Another milestone. Boom.
Go, Bode, go!!!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment