Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Delivery


I found out last week that my local grocery store has started home delivery.  I was very excited with this news. One, because I hate (hate) taking Nico into stores. It makes me nervous, the idea of him being exposed to all those gross germs. Two, I refuse (refuse) to brave the store with 3 children.  And two of my children drink milk like it's going out of style. And my husband drinks smoothies made of spinach and bananas like they are going out of style.  So I have to go to the store frequently. Yesterday, it was pouring. And I had one gallon of milk left. RWF will tell you that when I am down to 1 gallon of milk in the fridge, I get nervous. 

I did not want to take Nico out in the rain and into the grocery store. And I certainly did not want to take 3 children out in the rain and into the grocery store.  So, I utilized the new home delivery. 

It took some time to navigate the website and pick out the items that I wanted. But it was also kind of fun, too.  The store is waiving the $15.95 delivery fee for this month, as long as you spend $100 or more in groceries. Easy for me to do.  The downside is, they don't have same-day delivery.  

Today I received my order of groceries.  The delivery guy arrived at my doorstep with his handy-dandy credit card swiper in hand, along with a dozen red roses.  First, he presented the roses to me with a flourish, announcing, "These are for you! Thank you for your order."  I love fresh flowers in my home. And I was more than happy to receive the roses. But I couldn't help thinking that the flowers did kind of have a 1950s housewife air to it. Or maybe that's just my own insecurity about my lifestyle popping out.  Don't get me wrong - the roses are in a vase on my counter and they are beautiful. 

It was really nice to sit in the comfort of my warm home, in my socked feet, and have my groceries brought into my kitchen for me.

The only mistake in order, which may have been my fault, was the 7 bunches of bananas (instead of one bunch).  I called the store while the delivery man was here. The store rep and I had a good chuckle over the amount of bananas, while the delivery guy stood nervously nearby in our entryway. "Do I need to do anything?" he asked anxiously.  I think he was afraid that he was going to have to do a refund transaction on his handy-dandy credit card machine. A refund transaction that he didn't know how to do.

I am a fan of in-home delivery.
Happy Tuesday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment