Monday, December 3, 2012

First...father-son trip!



RWF and Bode went on their first father-son trip.  They went to Beaver Creek, CO to attend the Audi Birds of Prey.

They left on Wednesday morning. I was, quite frankly, shocked that it was actually happening.  One, I couldn't believe that I had agreed to this little adventure. And two, since RWF has been traveling so much for work, I honestly thought (hoped?) that he would not have the energy to fly across the country with his 4 year old son for a quick vacation.

But leave they did.  And the first photo RWF sent me was a snap of Bode inside the airport Starbucks. And a sob traveled up my throat when I saw my sweet boy's big eyes peering back at me. He was  holding a clear plastic container of milk in his hands, with a big green straw in his lips.   "What have I done?" I thought.  I proceeded to worry about all the things that could go wrong, all the things that RWF may not interpret from Bode correctly (i.e. to "our" way of doing things), all the rushing, all the forgetting to feed and sleep and pee/poo, etc. etc.  

Honestly, I trust RWF completely.  He is a great dad, and he is, if I am completely honest, much more patient and "reads" Bode better than I do. 

RWF called me several times on the way. But it was when they first got into their hotel room that it sunk in: they are really gone. RWF asked, "Which bed do you want, Bode?" and I heard Bode exclaim, "This one!" Despite the long day of travel, I heard joy in Bode's voice. 

Why did I do it? Why did I let them jet off across the country together?  Because it is important to RWF to have this time with Bode. Because it is special that they do this together. Because these memories are for the two of them. Because there are a dozen reasons to do it, and only one not to (selfish, scared me).

They had a great time. They rode on airplanes. They ate snacks. They saw the sunshine, the snow, the people, and some world class ski races. They hung out in their hotel room.They ordered room service.  They played at a park. They traveled (well) together.

And most important of all, Bode got to spend time with his dad, all by himself. He got his dad's undivided time and attention for 3 whole days while taking a very special trip. And hopefully, he will remember this trip forever.  And even if he doesn't, I will remind him of it for as long as I am able to.  Because Bode is a very lucky boy to have RWF as his daddy.  And I am very lucky to have RWF as my partner and father to my children.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment