Monday, May 20, 2013

The weekend

It was a cold and rainy weekend. We did not get a lot done, and really just hung out in the rain. 

On Saturday, the day of the race, it was actually sunny and cool, perfect running weather.  Saturday night, RWF and I enjoyed our date. We went to an Indian restaurant that we last went to when I was 7 months pregnant with Nico (sniff).  We ordered a bunch of food (RWF did this only for me, not for himself).  I devoured everything, and went back for more. I asked him if we were on a first date, if  he'd be thinking twice about asking me out again, given how much food I ate.  He joked that after seeing how much I eat, he would not be paying the tab for another date. Ha, ha.  I love Indian food. Oh let's face it, I just love to eat.  We went for a long walk around downtown afterward, and in Congress Park, watched a wedding party being photographed, as well as high school students enjoying their prom (which was held in a museum on the park grounds).

Sunday was cold and rainy.  I actually like rain, but I could definitely do without the chill in the middle of May.  Sunday morning, we were sleeping in bed when Bode and Gianna burst into our bedroom, hopped up on the bed and dove under our covers. They snuggled with us for a bit before demanding breakfast. It was a nice way to wake up, especially since I was in no mood to wake up early.  So their cheerful entrance made the transition a little easier for me.  We got up, ate breakfast, and went to Bode's soccer game.  It was overcast and cold (did I mention that it was cold? Cold? In May?), so I was not happy about standing around in a cold drizzle, but I wanted to go.  Gianna, Nico and I took a walk while RWF and Bode played the soccer game.  The other thing I've noticed is, I really have to stop watching the game. I tend to get annoying. (who, me?) RWF mentioned that I may want to step back a bit.  But I can't help but yell at Bode if he is facing the wrong direction, or sitting inside the goal talking to some girl....stuff like that. I'm like, "HELLO! You are here for soccer! Run! Move! Kick!"  Yes, I am that annoying mom that I promised I would never be like.   Afterwards, RWF treated us to a muffin.  This is dangerous territory for us. I mean, the timing.  First, the children have been up since 6 a.m. Second, they've eaten breakfast around 7 a.m. so they are hungry. Third, they've been running around since 7 a.m., gone to soccer, been outside, etc., so they are hungry and tired.  We chanced it though, and went to a local bakery.  Bad move.  First, it was late in the morning and the bakery only had two muffins left: pumpkin apple and blueberry.  Bode and Gianna didn't want them. They wanted the CUPCAKES that the bakery had displayed in the glass case.  We explained that it was muffin time, not cupcake time.  Bode and Gianna proceeded to pout and whine for cupcakes. RWF announced, "We'll take the two muffins, please."  Wailing ensued. Then we shuffle (the place is small, and I had Nico in a stroller) to the one available table, which is a two-top and really, too small for our party.  I'm banging into baker's racks loaded with bread as I try to navigate the narrow passage, Bode and Gianna are whining, and RWF is steaming about his decision to take us out.  Then we ran into a friend from the school. Ooops. Not the best impression to make in a public place, but I smiled like nothing was going on and chatted a bit.   Then people started chuckling, and my ears tune in to hear Gianna screaming, "NO  YOU CAN NOT! NO! YOU! CAN! NOT!"  She is walking around the restaurant with one of the muffins held high above her head, and Bode is walking behind her, trying to snatch the muffin out of her hands! Gianna shrieks some more, RWF intervenes, and gets them to sit down. I look at one woman who looks at me, amused.  I shrug and say, "I'm sorry..." She smiled and said, "Oh, it's really funny! Like he can't just grab that out of her hands! Are they always this close?" I look over and Bode and Gianna are now sharing a chair, and the muffin. Bode is hugging Gianna. I told her that they really are close, but it is crazy a lot of the time.  She of course had nothing but positives to say about our family. So that of course made everything better. We ended up sitting together at a four-top (that a man relinquished to us) and enjoying our muffin treats together, as a family. Whew.
Hope that you had a happy weekend.
Happy Monday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment