Thursday, June 27, 2013

Living in the (captured) moment


These photos were the outtakes of Gianna's 3rd birthday party invitation

"To overlook the little things in life is to miss the biggest part of life itself."
-unknown*

Sometimes I feel bad for always stopping, mid-activity, mid-conversation, mid-whatever, to raise my phone up to eye level and snap a photo of whatever is before me.  I am always trying to snap photos of my babies, my husband, my dog, a moment in our life.  A lot of people  wonder why I don't just live in the moment and try to keep it in my memory. The truth is, I have very little memory. My brain just can not keep everything in memory that I would like to remember.  So I take photos of everything. I am the annoying person, at a family gathering, interrupting someone's conversation or special moment by stepping up and into the situation, and clicking my camera button.  I am the mother who sits in the background quietly snapping photos, so that I can capture this happy moment in their lives, a moment that they won't remember and that probably will mean nothing to them in 10 years.  But I want to remember.  So I take the photo, even at the risk of interrupting the moment. 


Today, when I dropped Bode and Gianna off at camp, a little girl ran up to Gianna and spoke to her.  And then, taking Gianna's hand, they walked off, together, hand in hand.  My heart swelled and tears popped into my eyes. It was such a simple and sweet gesture. Two little girls, one of them mine, holding hands. It was something that I want desperately for my daughter: a friend's hand through life.   

I didn't have my phone with me.  I debated running out to my car and grabbing my phone, and running out after them to snap the photo. I knew that I wanted to capture it as I saw it, their backs to me, the hands clasped like perfect paper doll cut-outs. But I didn't.  I will remember this scene. I will write it out instead:  Gianna, in her blue daisy sunhat, pink t-shirt,  and striped leggings.  Emily, in a pink flowered sunhat, pink t-shirt and grey leggings.  Both girls wore Hello Kitty rain boots on their feet (and this is why they bonded).  Emily is 3 1/2. Gianna is 2-turning-3-on-Sunday. They are the same height.  And they walked hand in hand into the woods, ready for a day of adventure and friendship at camp.


This week, I've been so busy getting ready for Gianna's 3rd birthday party. I have had no time to myself during this downtime while Bode and Gianna are at camp! It is funny how I can spend so much time cleaning, shopping and planning when I want to!  I want Gianna to have a happy birthday, a birthday that will surely be captured in several photos from a very well-meaning mommy. But a happy birthday all the same, no matter who remembers what.
Happy Thursday.
xo
* I don't know who to credit, but I love this quote.  I Googled the quote, but only came up with a bunch of random pins and sources. If you happen to know, please tell me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment