Monday, October 24, 2011

The Brandenburg Gate or Disneyland











On our first weekend in Berlin, we were prepared to take it easy. But it suddenly got filled up with things to do!  Stefanie (our "guide") took us on a driving tour of Berlin, to familiarize us with the area and touristy spots. We saw Checkpoint Charlie, Victory Column, Tiergarten and many other of the top spots which escape my brain at the moment. We stopped in a great neighborhood, Prenzlauer Berg, where Stefanie says all her relocation clients want to move because it the "hip" neighborhood. We sat at an outdoor cafe while watching horse drawn carriages carry children around the block.  The neighborhood did have a nice vibe, and if we were staying longer, we'd probably want to live there, too.

Sunday, we thought it was important that we try the U-Bahn or S-Bahn, to see if it was doable for me and the babies. 

We went to the Brandenburg Gate.  When we got off the S-Bahn and walked out of the station, the first thing I saw was a giant Minnie Mouse, dressed up as Princess Leia from Star Wars. There was also a giant bear. There was a man blowing big bubbles with string and bubble solution, and the bubbles would float around the square before popping. There were boys break-dancing off to one side (break-dancing? is this the eighties?) while loud music blared from speakers.  I was so jet lagged that I thought we had somehow ended up at an amusement park (even though, if you have seen it, there is no mistaking the huge Brandenburg Gate!).  There was a Starbucks on the corner directly opposite the Brandenburg Gate, making the scene even more surreal for me. 


We were also so out of it that we were using our camera for video, which is why these shots are set up as movies!

Next, we went to the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe.  The Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe.  I love the clarity and boldness of that title.  There is no mistaking what this memorial is about.  What was disheartening to see is that people lounge all over this memorial. I was upset that it was such a social scene, instead of a place for quiet reflection.  Maybe I don't know the intended purpose of this memorial because I don't read German.  And there are no guards or signage that would suggest that you are not allowed to sit and lounge on the memorial.  But I found it very disturbing to see people lying on their backs, chatting and laughing with friends. Children would run in between the rows, playing hide and seek.  It did not suit me.  It bothered me for days, thinking about how casually this memorial was used by others.

Our biggest adventure that day was getting around on the S-Bahn. It is quite the transportation system! I am directionally challenged, so I was overwhelmed by the map and all the options.  We don't think that it is a transportation option for me and the babies.  It is too much to haul the stroller, the babies and myself around and to keep up with the connections.
Bode wearing my scarf. He is so European!

Bode really enjoyed being on the "train" and I'm sure that we'll be on it again soon!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment