Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mia Gianna: 16 months



Dear Gianna,
If today had a theme song, it would be "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers.  At least, that is the song that was running through my head while I watched you walk around Potsdam, among the yellow leaves and sunlight.

When the day that lies ahead of me seems impossible to face

And someone else instead of me always seems to know the way
Then I look at you and the world's alright with me

Just one look at you and I know it's gonna be -

A lovely day - lovely day
lovely day
lovely day
lovely day

I guess today you woke up and decided that you were done with crawling.  You walked all day, everywhere we went. We took a drive to Potsdam, and there couldn't have been a better setting for you to begin walking.  We stood on a square by a park, and your daddy put you down on the ground and you took off. You started walking and you didn't stop.  We stood and watched you, and Daddy put his arm around me and said, "Well. That's it."  And then he kissed me on the forehead. He knew that I was sad to see you walk.  We both knew that you had turned a page.


You charmed a lot of people while in Potsdam.  Everyone would stop and watch you walk. People would stop, smile, cheer you on, and chuckle at your (obvious) new found skill.  Daddy saw one couple watching, and overheard the man say, "You've got to love that. We never got to experience it, because we didn't have kids." And it seemed like a profound statement for him (for us) to hear.




Today, you also got a new tooth. Number 5 has finally made an appearance.



Whenever you drop something, or whenever you want something, you say, "Nah!" or "Nah-nah."  I thought this was your way of saying, "Mine!" or "Pick it up for me, please!"  But I discovered this week that is your way of saying, "Gianna." One night this week, you woke up and I went in to pick you up. I turned on a lamp, and I held you while walking around. We stopped in front of a mirror and I said, "There's Mommy and Gianna. Say, Hi Gianna."  You waved at yourself in the mirror and said, "Nah-nah, nah-nah."

You also have your own way of saying "Bode."  You love your brother like crazy. You always  have a big smile and a wave or "Hi" for him.  You two have a special "shrieking" game that makes me crazy and hurts my ears. But I know that it is your special thing with Bode.

You love eating oranges, pasta (we've eaten a lot of pasta while in Berlin), and hard-boiled eggs. Since there are no Goldfish or equivalent in Berlin, your new special snack to eat is Liebniz Butterkeks.

When you are finished with something, you throw it down. Whenever this happens, Daddy and I turn to each other and say, "Well, I guess she's done with that!"   I only packed two of your favorite bottles for this trip.I was told by several people, and adopted the motto, "whatever you need, you can buy." This I learned early on, was not a good idea.  We lost one of your bottles immediately. Then, on a walk last week, you were drinking from your bottle and I guess you decided that you were done with it.  It wasn't until we got to our destination that I discovered that you had lost your beloved "bah-bah."  We had to run to the store and buy replacements, and it wasn't the same brand as your favorite.  You knew this, and you didn't drink as much milk as you normally do.  I felt so bad for not bringing more of your bottles to Berlin. The area that we are in has limited  selection of baby stuff. I couldn't find your bottles anywhere.  Then, I went into my favorite Apothetek (chemist) this week, and asked them for your brand of bottles.  Luckily, they had (only) 2 of your bottles. We bought them, and I raced home to sanitize them and fill them with milk.  You are now happily drinking your milk again.

You have done well with the transition to Berlin. Sleep is a still a big issue though. I hope that when we get back to California, you will sleep well again once you are in your room, and sleeping in your crib.  Everything else here has been fine. But, as I said to your daddy, all you really need is your parents, your brother, your milk, and your penguin. 

Congratulations on walking, my lovely G.  It was a very lovely day. 
I love you.
Mommy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment