Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Strollerama

Bob has rented a car for us. It has sat on the street for the past 2 days, because I am intimidated about driving here.  I decided that today's rainy weather called for an outing.  My secret destination? A special surprise for Bode:  Legoland in Potsdamer Plotz.

Instead of our usual lazy morning, I got the babies dressed and into the stroller early, and we walked to the car.  Bob had parked it in this primo spot, around the corner from our apartment. I hated to give up such a great parking space. But I also felt guilty about not using the car.

I got the babies and myself buckled in, and drove off.  Everything was going great!  The traffic, though a little intimidating, was moving smoothly.  The navigation system was directing me in a soothing British voice.   Soon we saw the Victory Column ("See the golden angel, Bode? That's Victoria!") and Brandenburg Gate, telling me that we were headed in the right direction.  Hooray!

We got to Sony Station/Potsdamer Plotz. The only little issue was parking, and I had to circle twice around before locating the entrance to the parking garage.  I found a great spot with lots of space around the car. Perfect!

"Here we are!" I announced, in a sing-song (proud) voice. I smiled at my accomplishment: I got myself and my babies safely around the city!  I hopped out of the car. I opened the trunk.

MON DIEU.

I had driven off and left the stroller behind! It was left on the street!  I started shaking. "oh no, oh no, oh no..." I said, as I fumbled with the keys.  "Bode, we have to go home." By this time, Bode and Gianna were done with the car seats, and fussy.  Luckily, I had not told Bode my secret destination. I know better than to tell him anything until it is right about to happen. Still, I felt terrible!  But my feelings of guilt were being overridden by feelings of panic.  "What if the stroller was gone? What would we do? How would I get around?  How would I tell Bob? Should I lie, and say that the stroller was stolen? No, I can't lie. It was my own stupid fault! Our stroller was gone!" These thoughts raced around my head as I drove home as quickly (and safely) as possible.   Ack!

We pulled up to the street where the car had been parked.  I had to wait for traffic to pass, and I strained forward to see if it was there. A big bus passed before I spied it.  And there it sat: our beautiful red stroller!  I was so happy and relieved!  And, our parking space was still available! A complete miracle, given that parking is so hard around Berlin.  I said a prayer of thanks as I parked the car. Bode asked, "Where are we going now, Mommy?"  Neither of them had any clue about the absolute panic I had just been through. Bravo!

I told Bode that we were going to have lunch at the castle (the Charlottenburg Palace).  He was thrilled. Here are some pictures from yesterday while I recover from this morning's drama:

Park outing.




Little Miss Bedhead after her afternoon nap.

Playing with blocks and dinosaurs.

The Charlottenburg Castle. Bode is anxious to get out of (our beautiful red) stroller.

There are huge swans in this pond.  When the babies walked down to the water, the swans got out of the water.  I think they were looking for bread. It was so neat! They are bigger than Bode. Unfortunately, I couldn't snap a photo. I have to keep my hands on the babies!

Bode walking around his castle.
At least I know that I can drive in Berlin, and get us somewhere! I just have to remember all of our belongings before I drive off. 
Happy Wednesday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment