Thursday, October 20, 2011

A spoonful of zucker

You are stuck with us, babies!
(riding the S-Bahn)


Bode was 9 months old when I was finally agreeable to allowing a baby sitter into his life.  Actually, I was never really "agreeable" to the baby sitter idea.  Bob, unbeknownst to me,  had taken matters into his own hands. He had already interviewed and selected a nanny for Bode.  When he informed me, I rejected the idea and refused to even meet the person. 
Then Bob tried another tactic: he got me tickets to the show Wicked for my birthday.  If we were to go, Bode would need a sitter.  Knowing how reluctant I was to find someone, and how long it would take me to find the "right" sitter for Bode, Bob very wisely bought the tickets  6 months in advance of the show.   I remember he said to me, "You have 6 months to find someone." and in my head, I heard a big GONG.
Today, I am much more agreeable to taking a break, and letting someone else watch our children while I drink a mocha in Starbucks.  No longer does Bob have to twist my arm!  Today I am more likely to ask him for more time, as in, "How long can I keep the sitter?" I love taking a break, and I love our regular baby sitter, Susana.  Susana was 'the' babysitter when we went to see Wicked.  And she has been with us ever since. She entertains the children and cleans while they nap.  Bode and Gianna adore Susana; Susana adores Bode and Gianna.  Susana is our only babysitter. I know that I should find someone else. But I have no interest in trying someone new for my babies. If Susana is not available, then I have to change plans.
Unfortunately, Susana was not available to travel overseas with us. I joke, of course, but don't think that the idea didn't cross my mind!
I remember when I was trying to find a sitter the first time for Bode.  I asked everyone, "How do you know? How do you know that this person you are interviewing to watch your most perfect, precious gift in the world is going to treat him like he is the most perfect, precious gift in the world?" Okay, I didn't phrase my question like that. But I did ask, "How do you know?"  How do you know that the person isn't abusive and mean? How do  you know that this person is loving and attentive?   And everyone answered, "You just know."
This week, I decided that I need a break.  I asked our liaison, Stefanie, to secure an English-speaking baby sitter.  I had no intention of leaving the apartment, or leaving my children alone with this new sitter. If you know me, you know that there is no way that this was ever a consideration. I just needed a break. I wanted someone to play with Bode and Gianna while I sat in another room for some uninterrupted "me" time. The sitter arrived this morning.  And within 1 minute of speaking to her, I knew.  I knew that she was not going to work out.  I texted Bob, "This isn't going to work."  He called me, and we chatted. I decided to give her a chance, and see if things improved.
Things did not improve. I explained that I would be here (with her and the babies).  She said, "Then I have no authority here," gesturing to Bode and Gianna.  That's right, honey, no authority! I explained that I just need an extra set of hands, and someone to entertain the babies for a few hours. She looked around the apartment and asked, "How do you want me to entertain them, I see no toys?"  Hmm. And when I suggested that we take the babies to the park, she dismissed the idea, stating that it is too cold for the babies, especially Gianna.  I then affirmed that we would be going to the park. She asked how I get the two babies, myself and the "kinder car" (stroller) downstairs. I told her that Bode walks, I hold Gianna in one arm, and carry the stroller in my other hand,  and we all get into the elevator. She shook her head emphatically in the negative. "I beg your pardon. I can not do this; it is too much."  I got mad. I said, "I do it" She continued to shake her head and said, "I don't see how you are able to do it, you are so small...it is too much for you, for me...." I pressed, and we went to the park.  I "shadowed" her and the babies all morning.  
I can't explain it. And it really doesn't need to be explained.  I just knew, within 1 minute of meeting her, that this person was not the one to watch my kids, even while I am in the same room. I shouldn't have given her longer than the 1 minute it took me to size her up.  To know. Auf Wiedersehen!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment