Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ich bin ein Berliner

Before we left for Berlin, I got on this "Ich bin ein Berliner" kick. I wrote about it here. I would repeat it constantly, as one repeats things that are catchy or "stuck" in your head. It is practically the only German I know, so whenever we talked about Berlin (and we talked about it a lot), I would also say, "Ich bin ein Berliner!" Bode of course picked up on it, and would also repeat it constantly.  Sometimes during travel, we'd say it as a joke.

Yesterday at the park, Bode chased two little German girls who were pushing a baby carriage.  They noticed Bode charging after them, and ran off to their mothers, who were sitting at a nearby park bench. The girls spoke in rapid German, pointing at Bode, who stood close by, smiling broadly, and ready to give chase again.  I ran up and gestured to the mothers that he was only playing, and didn't mean any harm.  I told Bode to leave the girls alone, and asked him to chase me instead.

Later, the two little German girls were sitting under a slide, playing quietly.  I watched (and giggled) as Bode "broke into" their play area, asking loudly, "Hey, do you know Lightning McQueen?"  and continued rambling on about Cars.  The little girls looked around helplessly. One girl in red boots spotted me and asked me something (in German).  I said, "English."  The little girl turned to her friend and (I guess) explained that Bode was English.  The little girl in red boots said to Bode, "Ich bin Anna." (I am Anna) And Bode said (wait for it), "Ich bin ein Beriner!" (I am a (jelly) donut!)  I tried not to laugh, and I tried to get Bode to stop saying it. The girls took no notice, but I just don't want him repeating that in front of Germans!

My sister lived in Berlin for awhile so she is super excited that we are here.  One directive I got from her is to make sure that Bode Wm. has a schnecken from the bakery. This morning, we went on our bakery run.  I always scan the bakery case before making my selections (ha).  Today, they had schneckens!  So I immediately ordered a schnecken for Bode Wm.  Before I handed him his schnecken, I explained to him that his Aunt Melinda wanted him to have a schnecken when he was in Germany.  I told him that Aunt Melinda says it looks like a snail. He solemnly said, "Aunt Merinda gave Bode dis schnecken all the way from Germany!"  Well, kind of.  Enjoy.
He ate one half this morning. These are from this afternoon!

My little schnecken.


These bakery runs have got to stop. 
Enjoy your day.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment