Friday, September 23, 2011

Auchtung baby

As my dear friend Heidi Klum would say, "Auf Wiedersehen!"

Okay, we're not really dear friends. Or really friends, for that matter.

I did not make the right decision about Berlin.  Once I had decided not to go, I felt sad and down.  After a couple of days of me moping around the house, Bob and I made another decision. We decided that we needed to be together as a family.


This man.  He is the best. He makes things happen.

So now I am very happy to report that we are going to Berlin.  Yay!  I feel better about our decision. Now all we need to do is tie up all the (many) loose ends before our departure.  And hopefully memorize some useful German phrases, such as "Please help me with these two babies, thank you" as I will be on my own in Berlin while Bob works hard at his new company.

I am reading a guide book on Berlin.  I recently learned about JFK's famous speech on the Cold War situation, where he mistakenly said, "Ich bin ein Berliner," which could mean, "I am a donut."  Bob was incredulous that I had never heard of this JFK speech before.  Needless to say, it is embarrassing that I had not known this, and I hope to learn a lot more about Berlin reading this guide book and while visiting the city.   Reality is, I will be busy being a mommy to two babies, just in a different country.  Hopefully, I won't be making a huge mistake in doing this trip. I am sure jet lag will be brutal for all, and getting used to a new place and new routines will try everyone's patience and fortitude. Hopefully, like JFK, my mistakes will be forgiven and overlooked, in the spirit of why I wanted to do this...to keep my family together.

And this boy?  I think he told us, in his own way, that he wanted to go to Berlin.  On Sunday, we were going outside, and he told Bob that he wanted to wear socks with his sandals.  How very European, no?

Happy Friday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment