Friday, September 2, 2011

Bode: 35 months

Dear Bode,
I am in shock that you are almost 3.  Three!  Three! Three!

August 2011


This week, we met up with your birth buddy, Derek, and his mother, to take a picture for your shared birthday party invitation. I watched you and Derek standing together as Derek's mom took snaps, and it made me think of the first time you two "met."  You were three months old the first time you met outside of the hospital.  Three months!  It made me sad (as these things often do)  and I remarked to Derek's mom about how I remember the first time you met Derek.  I said, "I think of those times and I am just astounded at how quickly things change." I teared up and then sniffed dramatically to make a joke about my tears.  Derek's mom smiled and said, "I know," and changed the subject.  I didn't think that she was really affected.  But that night, she sent me a slideshow of pictures of you and Derek over the years (years!).  In her note, she wrote about how looking at these pictures made her feel sad.  And I felt validated, or at least, normal!


First playdate together at 3 months.

But enough about me.  You are, as your Grandma constantly reminds me, using your mind.  And I am struggling with it, sometimes. This month, you like contradicting me.  If I say something is one thing, you will say it is another. Your usual retort is, "No it's not!"  If I ask you to do something, you will do the opposite, or nothing at all. It is very frustrating for me.  But I am reading a wonderful book that your Aunt Dawnie gave me when you were 8 weeks old (8 weeks!). It is helping. 



You with your beloved ladybug. Ladybug always says, "I love you, Bode! You are the best baby, ever! Ever!"
You have stopped napping.  But you still sit or lie in your crib and play with your cars for an hour or so without too much of a fuss. I am glad, because you still need an afternoon nap (or, rest).

You know your ABCs, and recognize the letters B ("B is for Bode!"), G ("G is for Gianna!") and H ("H" is for Mommy!"  - we'll work on that later).  You can count from 1 to 15 (sometimes skipping the numbers 6, 7 and 11). You still enjoy reading and will discuss what is happening in the story's illustrations (sometimes I think you are stalling bedtime).  You still love playing with cars more than anything.

Our next hurdle will be preschool.  I know you are ready.  It will happen sooner than I'd like, but it will happen.  I really hate the idea of letting you "loose" in the world (yes, the "world" that is a classroom of three year olds). But I know that you will thrive,  and love being around other kids your age. And for those reasons only, I will let you go.

In less than a month, you are going to celebrate another birthday with your friend Derek.  It will be your third birthday together! You are going to have so much fun. I look forward it.
love,
Mommy
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment