Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas cruising

Yesterday started out good.

I took a shower  (Gianna pressing her face against the shower door, shouting "Mama! Mama!" the entire time).  I stepped out of the shower and Bode shouted from the playroom, "I want to go to Starbucks!"  I shouted back, "You read my mind! Let's go!"

The afternoon was long and dark. Gianna napped until 3:45. She would have slept longer had I let her. By the time I got her up and ready, it was dark outside. Too dark to go outside to play.  

So I packed the babies in the car with milk, and we set out to find Christmas lights.  It was a nice drive around the new neighborhood, with our radio playing Christmas tunes ("Feed the World/Do they know it's Christmas?" came on, and when Boy George crooned, "And in our world of plenty..." I was already in tears).  I'm happy to report that I didn't find any tacky decorations in our 'hood.  Bode kept saying, "Christmas lights!" (or, "Christmas rights!" as he tends to use an "r" for an "l" these days).  We both had fun checking out the light displays and listening to Christmas music.  

After we cruised around for a bit, we stopped at our new neighborhood pizza place and got yummy pizza.  Check this bad boy out:



My sisters-in-law introduced me to eggplant pizza. They had it waiting for us on our first night in our new house. It is now my new favorite. Yum!  Can you believe that I have this entire pizza to myself? It is huge. I am a lucky girl to have so many leftovers.

Earlier in the day, we made a Christmas wreath.  I don't know why I am making so many wreaths.  I am trolling the web, looking for Christmas crafts all the time.  I just seem to gravitate to the wreaths.  Again, this was beyond Bode's ability.  He was able to do part of it, and then I ended up completing the project.

Materials
paper plate (ours was waxed-covered so the paint didn't cover it that well)
acrylic paint
construction paper - red, green, etc.
glue
scissors
1 eager toddler

First, cover your table with something because you are going to paint. I didn't have newspaper so I used a paper bag. Cut a hole in the center of the plate to make a wreath. It does not have to be perfect because it won't show when you are finished.  Paint the paper plate green and let dry.  While the paint is drying,  draw and cut out holly leaves to cover the plate.  You can also cut out decorations for your wreath (ornaments, holly berries, a bow, etc.).


Bode painted the wreath form. But I really needed to do the rest.  I will admit that making the holly leaves took me a long time.  It took me so long that Bode lost interest. He started playing with my construction paper scraps while I finished the leaves.  I ended up gluing the leaves to the form, and we set it aside to dry.   




Later, I asked Bode where he would like to hang his new wreath. I suggested his bedroom. He said that he wanted it on the wall in the living room. 




Obviously I have this need to do crafty things! I can't explain it.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't have a crafty bone in my body.  I can picture RWF pulling into the driveway at night after a long day at work, bracing himself for the latest and greatest craft to grace our new home.  It's time to find some new friends and new outlets!

Speaking of needs, sister likes to bust a move:

She loves to dance (no music required).  She will imitate my moves, which is kind of scary (and unfortunate, if she remembers any as an adult, and tries it out in front of someone else).  Have you seen that Seinfeld episode when Elaine dances at the party ("the little kicks" watch it here)?  Yeah. That's kind of like me trying to dance, too.
Hugs to Jeanne, Greg, Mary, Keara and Maggie. You're in my thoughts.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment