Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This week



We made another Christmas wreath and peanut butter cookies as part of our Christmas craft-down.  I like polka dots so I chose these polka-dotted ornaments and a glittery red bow.  It is a pretty simple thing, but it looks nice on our door.

Bode had fun making the peanut butter cookies. He had more fun eating them!  (I let him eat two!)  I also mixed up sugar cookie dough.  One day we'll pull out the cookie cutters and decorative sugars and have more fun with cookies.

Gianna is still clingy.  Sunday we went outside and when I wasn't holding her, she was crying for me to pick her up. She would lean into my legs and hug me.  Of course I picked her up.  Who could resist?  Yesterday I was swinging her around and tickling her.  When she laughed, I got a good look into her mouth.  She's got a new (top) molar!  And she has four other teeth making an appearance. No wonder she has been so clingy.  

It has been super cold here.  The babies have had to wear mittens to protect their little hands.  Gianna doesn't like them.  We've tried every pair imaginable on her: big ones, little ones, knit ones, fleece ones, etc. Of course, she doesn't want anything on her hands. Too bad because she has no choice!  Saturday we put Bode's red fleece mittens on her.  She walked around with her arms out in front of her, like she had suddenly grown lobster claws.



Bode is still enjoying all of our Christmas stories.  And, we sing "Frosty the Snowman" about 500 times a day, too.  We listen to Christmas music on the radio while driving in the car.  He doesn't understand why the radio doesn't play "Frosty the Snowman" all the time, and will cry if we get to our destination and they haven't played "Frosty."  I have tried to explain to him that radio stations don't play "Frosty" all the time.  We have a Christmas cd with "Frosty" but he always requests that I play the radio when we are in the car. He just doesn't understand and gets very upset (tearful).  On the other hand, he's learning more Christmas carols.  He knows some of "Jingle Bells" and "Here Comes Santa Claus" and of course, "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer."

I get so emotional listening to Christmas music.  "The Little Drummer Boy" "Noel" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" as well as several others bring tears.  "Do You Hear What I Hear" is not a very popular Christmas song. But for me, it has a strong emotional connection to my Grandma.  When I was little, I used to go to Christmas (midnight) Mass with her.  I have a very vivid memory of standing beside her in the pew and singing this carol (and hearing her voice over all of the other people singing).

Gianna has no idea what Christmas is but she does enjoy pulling the candy canes off our Christmas tree.  Every night, I usually find her with a fistful.

This week, I am: wrapping presents, making cookies, enjoying any quiet moment spent with RWF (not happening since there is so much to do), and enjoying the babies' delight over all things Christmas (especially Christmas lights and store window displays).  



And when I feel overwhelmed by another to-do, or another emotional wave surges because of things that happen to loved ones (i.e., life), I repeat this line from another Christmas song: All is calm, all is bright.  
Happy Wednesday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment