Friday, June 15, 2012

Date night

Despite a busy, meeting-packed day (his, not mine), Mr. F and I had a date night.  It was so nice to get out together and enjoy good food.  We headed downtown and went to The Wine Bar, and it did not disappoint.  I had read some reviews where people had written that it was snooty, pretentious, and expensive. It was none of those things. It was a nice, quiet, comfortable atmosphere with good food. We had a lovely window seat looking out to bustling downtown. Our server was very attentive, but remained distant enough that I didn't feel like Mr. F and I were out on a threesome. The food was fresh and delicious. I started with a locally sourced salad that was simply dressed in the most delicious olive oil (like, butter, but better) and salt and pepper. For my main entree, I had fresh pasta (light as a feather) with arugula pesto and grilled shrimp. It was so delicious. My only complaint is that there was not enough ("not enough" being "not enough" for me, 26 weeks pregnant and able to eat my weight in a single serving). I am now planning on going to our local olive oil store for some delicious, high quality olive oil so that I can duplicate the arugula pesto....because I am now thinking about that arugula pesto 24/7!  Mr. F had scallops with lemony risotto.  I love risotto, but my pasta won that night.  RWF enjoyed The Wine Bar, too, and we plan to return for another date night.

After dinner, we walked around Congress Park for some fresh air.  It was a beautiful, mild evening  to enjoy a stroll, and definitely a different park visit than I am used to (usually I am frantically chasing after two little ones).  The park is full of war memorials, dedicated to all those who served in Korea, Vietnam, World War I and World War II, and the Iraq-Afhganistan wars. The first memorial was dedicated in 1931! There is also a space dedicated to all the branches of the armed service (pictured below). It is very sobering, beautiful and dignified, despite being in the middle of a park where children play and teenagers lounge.  




But then, I saw a bunch of baby ducks.  Ooooh! Lookie!  My heart just swells when I see these babies walking about. I just want to scoop them up with my hands and plant kisses on their fuzzy heads. I love these little guys so much.


My Willoughby (that is RWF to you), gets up early every morning (4:30 AM) to work out, work on some business, and then showers and dresses for his work day.  Then, he is usually out the door before 7 AM to head to work. But this week, he has been getting up even earlier (if that is even possible), works out, works on some business, and then makes breakfast, gets the babies up, dresses them and feeds them. Meanwhile, I am still snoozing away in bed, oblivious to the clatter of dishes and the sweet voices of my waking babies. He does this so that I can get some extra sleep.  He has done it every day this week, without any announcement or fanfare.  Is this man great, or what? I am a lucky girl.
Happy Friday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment