Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Nico: 5 months



Dear Nico,
Yes, it is that time again. Time to report that you are one month older, and nearly half a year old!

You love your diaper being changed.  You love lying on your back, feet up in the air.  You like smiling at me from this point, and letting out a long, loud "Tarzan-style" yell.





You love your brother Bode, and he loves you.  Bode is great about talking to you about every little thing. You listen to his narration, and smile.  He makes you laugh by jumping around you.  Bode makes you feel good by just being in the room (just like he does with all of us).

You are kind of sitting up on your own.  I can prop you up in the corner of a chair and you'll stay put for the most part. Sometimes you will sit on your own, bracing yourself with your arms.  "Tummy time" is no longer a challenge. But you do get bored there, or possibly frustrated that you can't get the toys just out of your reach. You haven't mastered rolling yet, either. I think this is something that you would be able to do, if only I could resist picking you up and holding you all the time!




You have this high pitched screech that hurts my ears.  You screech when you are happy, lying on your back and grabbing your feet during a diaper change. You screech when you are sad,  waking up in the middle of the night, waiting for me to wake up and find my way to you for a feeding and diaper change. It is a piercing, unpleasant sound, quite like the dreaded "nails on a chalkboard."  But you also have a wonderful chuckle. You laugh when I nuzzle your neck, when Daddy surprises you with a silly face, or when Bode does whatever magical Bode thing that he does.





At your last check up, you weighed over 16 pounds.  I am starting to dislike Dr. Breen's nurse, who always seems to make a comment about your weight and breastfeeding.  "Exclusively?" she'll challenge, when I answer her question about whether I am still breastfeeding.  Then she clucks her tongue and says, "He's a big boy," as if to suggest that it couldn't be possible to sustain you on breast alone. I have been on the dreaded "Elimination Diet" for the past three weeks.  The diet was started because your soft baby skin has been rough and red, inflamed by something that I'm eating.  It would break my heart to see the red patches all over your head, punctuated by nail marks where you have scratched at your scalp. Two weeks in with no dairy, no chocolate, and no citrus and I'm convinced it is the dairy that had your skin inflamed.  The dairy is the only thing that I have eliminated religiously (even skipping Mamma Mia's pizza last night!).  Three weeks later, your skin is back to normal, soft as silk and pure ivory.  I can live without cheese, my very favorite food, because you are worth it.  And soon you'll be eating solids!  When you are 6 months, Dr. Breen will most likely give the green light to start rice cereal. Yum!  And that will start another change...less feedings with me and more solids for you.  Eating solids means another milestone, more growth, no longer my tiny squishy that I used to hug to my chest, but a big(ger) baby that rides my hip and challenges my arm muscles.

You are such a doll. You are an easy baby, always happy and content to be with us.

I don't know how it is possible, but I love you more (so much more) every day.
love,
Mommy
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment