Friday, June 6, 2014

Gianna's (school) birthday

soooo excited for school

Gianna had her school birthday celebration on Wednesday.

RWF was in CA this week, but took a late, late flight home Tuesday night. RWF and I  met up at the school in the morning, and walked down together.

We were waiting with her teacher while Gianna and her class were in circle time with the other teacher. Then the class walked up to where we were waiting. Gianna's reaction was so funny. She looked, and her eyes lit up (when she saw us there) before she quickly looked down at the ground. You could see that she started to smile, but then moved her mouth to not smile. She looked at me, and ignoring her father, demanded, "What are you doing here?" I looked at RWF, and looked away, our silent cue to each other to just ignore her. It was so sweet, and just...so Gianna. The class gathered in a circle, Miss Kelly lit 4 candles, and began to tell a magical story about Gianna's birth.


Honestly, I did not hear the birthday story, so I have no idea if it was special (or if it would have me in tears).  Sir Nicholas seemed unaware that we were there for Gianna's birthday, and wanted me to take him to see the chickens and the swings instead. I tried to keep him in the circle, but he would shriek, "Swing! Swing!" or "Bwok, Bwok!" until I walked him over.  Each time I walked back to the circle, Nico would cry, "Swing, swing!" or "Bwoky!" His cries were disruptive to everyone, so I quickly walked off with him. I am so happy that RWF was there!  I know that it made Gianna happy that her daddy was there for her special school birthday celebration. (not to mention, what a bummer for her if it had only been me, and I couldn't sit there because Nico was shrieking continuously for the swings?!)

After the story, we sat with the children while they ate lunch.  We talked about the weather on the day that Gianna was born (beautiful, sunny warm day in Palo Alto, CA). After everyone had finished nearly all of their lunch, I walked around with Gianna serving fruit.  Gianna wanted to serve "pink" and "purple" fruits.  So I had cut up watermelon, blueberries and red grapes for the fruit plate.  When she wasn't looking, I had also topped it with pineapple (which is Gianna's favorite fruit).

RWF wears her birthday crown while Gianna skips

It was a sweet celebration.  It was very nice of Miss Kelly to squeeze in one last birthday celebration in the school year.  She knew that Gianna really wanted a school birthday, even though her birthday is after school ends.
And now we wait for the actual birthday celebration! I am happy to report that I have everything in place, except for my cupcake order.
Happy Friday, friends.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment