Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The weekend and birthday party plans


The weekend was busy because we had plans, and I had a plan to settle on Gianna's birthday party venue!

Saturday we went to a local arts festival.  We walked around in the early morning, and some people were still setting up. It was nice to be out before the crowds.  Gianna and Bode were able to run free (kind of). We could look at the art without rushing or worrying about crowds swallowing up our children. 

Sunday, we went to a playground instead of  our usual walk.  The children were so excited! We haven't really been to a playground since we moved here.  It was small, and I soon realized that our "babies" are getting pretty big.  The playground was geared toward the 2-4 year old set, I think. I mean, it is meant for all children but it's on the small side.  It reminded me so much of when we lived in CA, and had a park that was 2 minutes from our house (that we went to every single day!). It took me back to the days of 2 year old Bode and Baby G!  I wanted to scope out the playground for Gianna's birthday party.  But I quickly realized that it would be really hard to entertain a bunch of 4 year olds at this tiny park! I was a little disappointed, but glad to come to this realization before the invites went out!

(overwhelmed)

Gianna and Bode also went to a birthday party for their friend Kate on Sunday afternoon. It was at an inflatable jump place (we had Bode's 3rd birthday here and these children seem so much smaller!).  I have also held off on deciding on the venue for Gianna's birthday party because I was half expecting Gianna to decide that she wanted her party at this place.  Gianna said nothing of the sort.  If anything, she didn't seem happy. She didn't jump very much, instead stood around and watched others. She was definitely overwhelmed by all the jumping,  sliding, lights, and noise.  So that was helpful for me, too.  She did enjoy the cake though. Some parents laughed because  after she finished her cake, Gianna took pretzels and used them to scoop up any remaining frosting that she could find. Smart girl.


(still overwhelmed)

Gianna sez, "When's cake?" (still overwhelmed)


I decided to have Gianna's party at another place, a smaller  'play gym' where the children can all run around and play games (under the guidance of 2 teachers). The idea of a birthday party at a gym doesn't do much for my aesthetic. I really want a "pretty" party for Gianna. But I guess all that matters is that the children have fun.  I can have a pretty home party for her on her actual birthday, too. 

This is the last real week of school. Next week, it's all about wrapping things up. Next Thursday, we have a picnic, and the (dreaded) "Rainbow Bridge" ceremony where the children cross the bridge into another grade.  I know that I will cry! (Yes, it's all about mememememe.)

Speaking of tears, tomorrow is Gianna's school birthday party.   I will bring a fruit plate to share with her friends.  While we enjoy our fruit, Miss Kelly will tell a story about Gianna (and I've been warned by other mothers that these stories bring tears (to the mothers, not the children!).

I'm off to iron my handkerchief (sniff). Happy Tuesday, friends.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment