Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Meeting Cinderella



This past weekend, I took Gianna* to meet Cinderella.  Cinderella was going to be at a craft event where little girls and boys could decorate a crown and hang out with her while she chatted and sang songs.  For more money, you could have your picture taken with Cinderella.

We got there super early. I didn't want to fight a potential mob of children.  We walked into the room, and Cinderella was standing right there.  We were the first ones to arrive. "Hello!" she greeted us.  Gianna's mouth dropped open and then quickly shut.  Then she put her head down and refused to look at Cinderella for the rest of the entire visit.

We had Cinderella to ourselves for about 20 minutes before other children showed up.  We sat down and worked on Gianna's crown.  While we picked out the stuff to glue onto the crown, Cinderella tried her best to engage Gianna.  She asked Gianna all kinds of questions. She described life at the castle and I asked her questions about her wicked stepmother, her stepsisters, her dog and her mouse friends. Gianna point-blank ignored her.  It was like Cinderella was a figment of my imagination. Gianna was so cool.

When we had finished the crown, it was time for the photo op.  I guided Gianna into the room and had her stand before the green backdrop.  Cinderella sat down beside her and then asked Gianna if she could stand a little closer to her.  Gianna ignored her so I kind of moved Gianna as close as I dared.

The photographers all tried to get Gianna to smile.  They complimented her on her beautiful crown, on her pretty dress, and asked her questions.  All for nothing! The girl just would not smile.  Cinderella tried to get her to laugh by telling her a joke but that failed, too.  I shrugged and said, "Just do what you can," and walked off. I thought maybe if I left, Gianna would engage.

While we were waiting for the photo to be printed, Gianna enjoyed a sparkly cupcake.  This was the only time she was animated and happy! But as soon as Cinderella approached, Gianna would turn away from her.

Once the photo was printed, Cinderella walked over to me, and kind of guiltily showed me the photo. "Um, this is what we got," she whispered. I think she thought I was going to be upset, or demand a retake.  Instead, I busted out laughing. It was the perfect picture of the morning.

How  funny is that photo? Gianna looks like she is standing next to a pile of stinky garbage, and not her idol.

Of course, for the rest of the weekend, Gianna was "Cinderella this," and "Cinderella that," and skipping along with her crown and grumpy photo in hand.  She's also been holding the skirt of her dress with one hand as she waltzes through the room, as if she were wearing a big ballgown, just like Cinderella was walking around at the event.


*I did not take Bode or Nico because I wanted to have a special date with Gianna. So please don't send me angry emails about how princesses are not just for girls, or that I favor Gianna over my boys. Bode and Nico both have enjoyed wearing Gianna's princess crown.
Happy week, friends.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment