Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Graduates

The morning of graduation

Bode and Gianna's graduation went very well and  was a pretty "dignified" ceremony for such little people (well, almost...).  The ceremony was filled with a lot of spirit and love as well.

The two classes walked to the bridge, Bode's older class taking a longer route, while the younger children in Gianna's class got the shorter, more simple route so that they met up on opposite sides of the bridge. The parents met early and walked over to stand on a hill at the side of the bridge, awaiting the graduates. The two classes met up at just the same time, a feat that the teachers smiled about,  calling over to each other, "Can you believe we met up at the same time?!" and "So unlike last year!"  

The "ceremony" began with Gianna's class singing a song called "We are All the Leaves of One Tree."  Hearing their sweet, baby voices singing the words and using their tiny hands to mime leaves, ocean waves, and stars was almost too much for me to handle.  It was then that I started to cry (silently).  But I held it together, lips clamped together in a smile as I watched the little friends all singing together.

Then the procession began, with the preschool children who were leaving the school walking across first.  Next, Gianna's friends who graduated to Kindergarten.  And last, Gianna (and friends) were supposed to walk across....except...the first boy got scared, ran over to his mother and hid his face in her legs the whole time.  This set the tone for the next graduate, Gianna's friend Kate, who cried out, "Mama!" and then started bawling.  Kate's mother ran over to her and held her. I knew Gianna was next, and I was just willing her to be the strong, fearless girl-child she is and to show her friends how to do it. When Gianna's turn came,  Gianna looked at her teacher, and then turned around and scanned the crowd for me. Finding me, she ran over to me and refused to cross the bridge!  I whispered, "Go on, Gianna, Mr. Trent and Bode are on the other side waiting for you."  But it was too much after her other friends had cried, and she refused to move. ("And they all fall down," I thought.)  Her teacher smiled, turned her attention back to the bridge, and nodded to the Kindergarten teacher, Traci, to start her ceremony.  

So next, the Kindergartners went: those who were leaving the school for new adventures and then those who were graduating (but staying).  When his name was announced, Bode practically skipped over the bridge, a happy smile across his face.

Only I wasn't there to give him a hug. :(   At the start of the Kindergarten ceremony, I had slipped on the muddy embankment, and had fallen -"Boom!" as Nico says - right on my behind.  Two fathers helped me up, each taking one of my arms and lifting me, standing, back to my feet. I was wearing Nico in a backpack and even though we were fine, Nico was startled and was crying loudly.  So I had walked away from the parent group so that everyone could enjoy the ceremony.  I was watching from a distance, but I still feel bad that I wasn't "right there" for Bode when he crossed.  Luckily, I had quieted Nico enough that I could run over to Bode and give him a hug soon after he had crossed over!  

(It is so hard to be a single parent! I feel for single parents everywhere. I feel so bad, always having to divide my time amongst three needy loves! Luckily, Bode is pretty forgiving. Gianna takes it more personally, or at least, lets me know that she *knows* when I am absent, or less than present.)

After the ceremony, we all walked back together to the school for a picnic lunch.  Of course, all the children ran around and played with each other while the parents exchanged memories, tears, and "Can you believe it's over?" laments.

Gianna dances on stage, Nico contemplates someone else's froggy boot, and the boys play Legos.

We stayed too long. In fact, we were the last ones to leave!  Gianna was over-tired and refused to budge.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), Miss Kelly, her teacher, still had to "work" after graduation, because it was up to Miss Kelly to encourage Gianna to go home. ;)  I already had my hands full with Nico, Bode, last-minute school stuff, and picnic supplies. So it was Miss Kelly who asked Gianna to be a big strong helper (to me) and walk by herself up to the car!

Nico wants to hula like everyone else, but he is too tiny.

And now we are on summer break.  And while I am so happy to put away the lunch boxes and backpacks, I'm wondering what to do with these two school children!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment