Friday, April 1, 2011

Bode: 2.5 years


My happy little hat-wearing guy!

Dear Bode, 
Suddenly, you are no longer obsessed with your cars.  I am hesitant to mention this, because I really think that this is a short-term break. It has been about 2 weeks, and it is strange that you're not racing cars on the back of the couch, talking about your cars non-stop,and asking me or Daddy to race a car with you. I really want to ask you why you are no longer playing with your cars, and why you no longer carry a car in each hand, and other car-related questions. But I don't want to draw attention to it. I am enjoying the break. Maybe you are, too.


A rare moment of interest in one of your cars yesterday.
So what are you doing these days?  Well, you have always been great about entertaining yourself. You can play for hours by yourself as long as I am nearby. But, instead of playing with cars for hours, you are getting into imaginative play. You will take two stuffed toys, or two pieces of food, or two of something and have them talk. You also like to tell us who we are, by announcing: "You Bert," "Daddy, you Count." "Gianna Snuffy." You love music, and ask me to sing songs ("Old MacDonald," "Oh, Susanna!" "Elmo's Song" "Rubber Duckie" and any other song you want me to make up on the spot). You spend a lot of time playing with your baby toys lately, because I pulled them out for Gianna.  If I give something to Gianna, it has your complete attention. You like to play with Play-Doh and stickers.  I think, in the future, you are going to be into dinosaurs and robots. You have already taken an interest in those two things, even though you've had little exposure to them. You love to read. And thanks to Aunt Melinda, you have a huge book collection. I love how you request books by the exact title, and how you surprise me by knowing a book by its cover and announcing its title like you are reading the words.
Reading with Daddy last night.


At 2 1/2, you are already reading and spelling! (just kidding) But you are learning your letters.

Daddy wants you to love the outdoors; and you do love being outside.  You like going outside for walks and just hanging around in our 'hood. It rained hard for about two weeks this past month. You really enjoyed splashing in the puddles!  You love going to the park, and still love to swing.

You still love to swing!


Sometimes, getting you to eat is a little tricky. You have definite opinions about what you will and won't eat. Sometimes you just don't want to eat and we have to stop ourselves from 'forcing'you to eat. You and Daddy have a green drink every morning. It is your little ritual. Daddy will put everything in the blender and announce, "Blending." And you and I both respond, "Blending." At first, when you were a baby, Daddy announced he was "blending" so as not to startle you when the blender roared to life in the kitchen. Now, we do it more as a joke/ritual.  Daddy blends up spinach, bananas, and another frozen berry and you boys drink it right up, clinking blender and juice cup together in a "cheers." At dinner, Daddy does a little reverse psychology on you, by picking up a piece of food from your plate, pretending to almost eat it while asking you, "Can I have this?"  Normally, you respond, "No, I want it," and then eat it yourself.  You crack me and Daddy up when you walk out of the pantry with a bag of food, announcing, "Oh, how 'bout this?" If you are interested in what Daddy and I are eating (usually when we are sneaking a snack), you'll ask, "Whaddya got there?" 

You can always eat a bagel. I don't think you've ever refused a bagel. I like to take you to the bagel shop downtown for a treat. It is a nice outing for all of us, where we can just sit together.  I can watch you take in the surroundings while you eat your cinnamon raisin bagel with plain cream cheese.
Big bagel boy

You still love to wear hats, or other things. The other day, I found an old yellow headband of mine. You wore it all afternoon.  I like your hair on the longer side, and am happy that you still have curls. But the headband pulled the hair off of your face and you looked absolutely gorgeous!
The next Rafael Nadal?


Last  night, after kissing and hugging you goodnight, I told you that you will be 2 1/2 years old (today). I said, "So when people ask you how old you are, you have to say, "I am two and a half years old." You just looked at me for a minute with those big blue eyes, and then said, "Hug, Mama." So I hugged you. And then you said, "Again!" and I hugged you again and again. Your age means nothing to you.  But it means a lot to me, because I worry about the day you are old enough to walk out the door on your own.  But you are right:  instead of counting the days, I should be counting the hugs.
Happy 2 1/2 years, Bode! May the rest of your second year be just as fun as the first half.
love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bode, Happy 2 1/2 years old!! I love the photos of you that your Mommy posted. I especially love the photos that show you wearing various head coverings - I would call them "hats" but calling a pan a hat is a bit of a stretch. ;) You have a wonderful sense of humor and I know that your family enjoys your funny moments. My wish for you is that you will always smile and enjoy the lighter side of life. You are a very special boy and your whole family loves you very much. XXOO
    Love, Aunt Dawnie

    ReplyDelete