Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hippity, hoppity...




This morning, we went to an Easter egg hunt.  It was held at a park, and hosted by my mom's group. I did nothing for it except get up this morning, iron a shirt and pants for Bode, dress my children and myself. I didn't even drive us over there. Bob did that. I really need to help these moms out. They are so great at putting together these events. I used to volunteer all the time, before babies. So, here it is, in writing: I commit to volunteering for an event hosted by the moms group in the near future.

First, Bode got some bunny ears.




Then we checked out  the park (a new park, for us).

He turns 2 1/2, and all he wants to do is RUN.

The lovely G
The "music" portion of the event took place.  We sang "Here Comes Peter Cottontail," and I laughed, watching Bode and the other children trying to hop-hop-hop down the bunny trail. While we sang songs, some of the moms and dads hid the Easter eggs.
A supportive audience.


I see a guitar in his future.




Last year, at his first Easter egg hunt, Bode was just barely toddling.  He saw the eggs, but didn't know what he was supposed to do with them. He had difficulty holding his Easter basket, navigating the ground, and  putting eggs in his basket. It is neat to look back on that time and think of the changes that have taken place (those developments so quickly forgotten). This year, Bode had no difficulty carrying his basket as he ran around the park. He had no trouble finding the eggs, picking up the eggs and putting the eggs in his basket. He found his allotted amount in no time, announcing, "Oh, dere's one..." in his sweet little voice, as he bent over to pick up a plastic egg.


After the egg hunt, we sat for a little show put on by another one of the moms. She always makes up her own stories, acting the story out with stuffed animals and puppets. She uses simple props that she makes herself, like a leaf made out of green construction paper, a cave made out of tissue paper and a shoe box, etc.  The children are always transfixed (and I am, too). So, here it is, in writing: I resolve to find my "creative niche" this year.




I met another mom there who immediately started talking about how "beautiful" Gianna is,  as she nursed her own beautiful 5 month old baby. We chatted for a few minutes, and then she asked, "Did you want a girl?"  I didn't  hesitate for a second before replying, "No, I wanted another boy."  I said this while I held my precious girl in my arms.  She admitted that she wanted another girl (instead of the baby boy that she held).  Is this an unusual conversation? I don't know. I can say that I said this without reservation; no fear of being judged for my answer.  And I admit this freely here because I believe that everyone knows that Gianna is a blessing to me (along with Bode, of course).  I just had no idea how special a little girl is, but now I am seeing it every day. And I'm enjoying watching Bob and his little girl interact, too. Bob is more of a "daddy" than I ever imagined. He is just so great with both babies. He has such a wonderful relationship with Bode. I can't wait to see what kind of dynamic he has with Gianna as she gets older. And the same goes for me:  I have two little people to love, and I can't wait to see how our relationships evolve over time.



Every night, we read stories about Easter. I'm not sure  if the Easter bunny has sunk in. I may be wrong, but I think that Bode doesn't realize that the Easter bunny is going to drop a basket of Easter goodies for him and Gianna. I have already started on Bode's Easter basket and I can't wait to see his reaction. We have our PAAS egg dye and eggs at the ready. I bought two PAAS egg dye kits. I've got it on hand in case we need an "emergency" activity for a rainy day. Or maybe I bought two kits because I'm a big kid and can't wait to color eggs. Hippity, hoppity, Easter's on its way.  Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment