Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Croup, there it is

Sunday night, I tiptoed into Bode's room to check on him while he was sleeping.  His breathing was very labored. I sat and listened for a long time.  Then, he gave out a loud cough, and then another. My heart seized up. This did not sound good. His breathing was worrisome. The cough sounded loud and hollow, like a seal. I laid there on the bed, in the dark, listening. He woke up; his breathing and coughing was getting worse. I was so scared that I was going to have to take him to the emergency room. 

Then I remembered that Dr. Google is available 24/7.    Those who have gone before me, any guesses? 

Croup!

Everybody sing with me, and bonus points if you do Cabbage Patch while singing:

Croup, there it is. Croup, there it is. Croup, there it is.

Okay, I am taking artistic license with a song and joking right now. But I was very worried then. Bode's symptoms matched exactly for "croup." After consulting with Dr. Google, I sat Bode on a stool in the bathroom and turned on the hot water for steam. Bode's eyes got even bigger than they normally are, and he whispered, "Mommy, are you going to take a shower?"  I (stupidly) said, "No, this is for you."  Bode burst into tears and cried, "No, I not take a shower! I not take a shower, Mommy!"  (He hates the shower)  I tried to explain it was just the steam that we needed but it was too late. He was scared and wanted out of that bathroom stat.

We went to the pediatrician the next day.  I explained that I was parenting solo this week, and asked her what warning signs do I need to look for? What signs will tell me when I need to wake up both children and head to the emergency room?  She told me what to watch for; when to know a visit to the e.r. was needed. And then she suggested that next time Bode's cough was bad, I could put both children in the stroller and take them for a walk, because the cool night air helps croup.  Both children?  You mean, WAKE THE SLEEPING BABY? You mean, WAKE THE SLEEPING BABY and explain that we are going for a walk in the cool night air to help her brother's croup? Are you crazy, doctor?

She obviously hasn't had any babies. Next time, I think I will save my money and stick with Dr. Google. Or, I will put Bode in the stroller and just walk our driveway! NO WAKING THE SLEEPING BABY, you moron.

Today, Bode's croup is better.  Gianna has been sick since last Friday. And now, Bode is sick with the same. They are both running fevers. Their noses are perpetually running. I do laundry once a day because both babies wake up from nap/sleep with snot all over...everything.  It is disgusting. 
My guess is that they have a form of what Bob and I both battled two weeks ago.  Speaking of Bob, did I mention that he has been out of town for the past 5 days?  Yes, he missed the croup fun. Conveniently missed all the croup drama and really, is missing the day in, day out fun that is the sickness. That's okay, because he probably doesn't know how to Cabbage Patch anyway.   This is my dance party. Croup, there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment