Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Jet

Today we went to the Hiller Aviation Museum.   I wanted to go for three reasons.  One, I thought Bode might enjoy seeing some planes.  Two, they were having a special bird show. And three (the main reason), I read that they were having a gourmet food truck event there for lunch.  I've read so much about the gourmet food truck trend, but haven't had an opportunity to try any. It was the perfect opportunity to try some new things. As I like to say, win-win, baby. 
I didn't say anything to Bode about where we were going until we were about 5 minutes away from the museum.   I didn't want to build it up too much. I  didn't know what to expect.  For all I knew, it was a tiny space outside a hangar, with one old bi-plane and one old flight suit. Thankfully, the place delivered.  It was exciting and fun.  Bode was able to walk into a real plane and sit in a real helicopter. There were a ton of planes and helicopters to view.  Bode was especially happy to find an old Ford, that he called "Lizzie" (from the Cars movie). We also stood outside and watched planes taking off, and even saw a helicopter take off, too.   I think this place will be perfect practice for our big flight in September! I will just stick them in the old retired Boeing jet, and have them sit in their seats for an hour, and slowly build up hour by hour until they are ready for a 5 hour flight!


Get ready, kids! Sit there for 5 hours without fussing and make me happy!



"Oh, there's Lizzie."


And what is a visit to a museum without the purchase of an over-priced souvenir?  Someone was so smart to make the entrance and exit to the museum through the gift store. Genius.  Bode got a helicopter, and we got an airplane  "for Daddy."  (You're not fooling anyone, Bode!)  Honestly, I was going to put the airplane back once Bode's attention shifted elsewhere. But then, Gianna grabbed the airplane out of my hand, and stuck the airplane in  her mouth (!!!). I was too embarrassed to put it back.


Bode with his helicopter.
The bird show was great, but not great if you are 2 feet tall and have a short attention span (especially when you can't see anything).  There were a ton of kids and parents sitting for the bird show. Gianna chose that time to decide that she had it with sitting in the stroller.  So she started to fuss. Bode couldn't see anything despite my repeated direction of  "LOOK. LOOK RIGHT THERE. SEE THE HUGE BLUE PARROT?"  So that was kind of frustrating.  But then, it was time to eat. So while everyone was enjoying the bird show, we jetted out to the parking lot for the gourmet food trucks.
The gourmet food trucks arrived and we were literally first in line. Unfortunately, there were only three trucks! I was looking forward to having a ton of options, and having difficulty deciding what to eat. That wasn't the case today.  It wasn't until I got up to order and reviewed the menu that I figured out we were in line to  "The  Lobster Shack" truck.  Fortunately they had a grilled cheese on sourdough for Bode and Gianna.  The rest of the menu was lobster-based.  Lobster rolls and lobster salad. Eh.  No, thanks.  Another truck was the "Italian Gourmet" and  I ordered the caprese sandwich.  My friend Cristiana  and her son Leonardo joined us at the museum.  Being from Italy, she kind of laughed at the "Italian Gourmet" truck.  But then, seeing  no other options, she ordered a panini.  She came back from ordering and announced that they were authentic Italians, the men cooking in the truck were from Southern Italy.  Our sandwiches were good, too. The other truck was dessert based, and I really wanted to try an ice cream sandwich.  But the panini sandwich (and some of Bode's chips) filled me up.   There was a mob of people in line for both trucks by the time we sat down to eat. It did take awhile to get our  food because they do make it when you order it.  I was happy that we were smart enough to snag a table right after we ordered. I think the gourmet food  trucks will return in August. Hopefully, more trucks will participate.





We will be back to this place.  I would like to go again to see more of the museum (hard to view with two babies). I think once Gianna is walking, she will enjoy herself more, too.  Bode had a blast!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment