Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Growth

Gianna likes her new baby doll. But she does not like the baby doll in the stroller. She finds that baby in the stroller and it is her personal mission to take that baby out, pronto.  Bode, on the other hand, loves the baby in the stroller.  It is his baby, and her name is...(wait for it)....Gianna.  He says that the baby likes going for walks in the stroller. And then he races around the house like a maniac, the baby tilting out of its seat, the stroller careening on two wheels. Madness.

No...

You're free, baby! Now I can drink my milk in peace.



Hugging the baby.


My baby Gianna just went to the pediatrician for her 12 month well-check. She is 19 lbs, still on the small side, but developing great. She pulls up and stands all the time now.  She communicates a little, through some gestures, and seems to respond to some of my questions. Okay, I'll go ahead and say it: she's much more communicative than Bode! There. I got that out. She has shook her head "no" and "yes" for months now. So if I put the baby doll back into the stroller, she will shake her head "no," and pull the baby doll out. It is pretty funny.  A few minutes ago, I was kissing  her all over, and she was crawling on me and laughing. I was just struck by how lucky I am. I have two healthy, happy babies. But more than that. I was just struck, at that moment, kissing her repeatedly and laughing with her, how wonderful this very moment is, to be able to sit with her, kiss her, study her body, her eyes, drink in her babyness, in a sunny room, and laugh and play, just the two of us. To have this moment, and to remember it. 



My mother is such a sap!


In addition to his excellent mothering skills, Bode is a great farmer.  We have our very first cucumber ripening up, and we counted 17 (green) tomatoes this afternoon.  He is very fixated on this one tomato that he broke off by accident. It is a small green thing the size of a pebble. But it is still on the ground, and every time we check our plants, he says, "Oh, there's that one. That one broke."

Cucumber!

The proud farmer and his tomatoes.
This weekend, we fitted Bode for a helmet. We want him to start wearing a helmet like he wears hats. So I'm trying to play up the "cool" factor of the helmet. He has a red helmet "like Lightening 'Queen." I point out people wearing helmets on bikes, riding scooters, roller-blading, etc. Luckily, a lot of kids wear helmets at the park. When he asked me if I had a helmet, I had to pull out my helmet and put it on to be a good example, right? (dork)

Lightening McQueen wears a helmet, and also eats carrots.
Tomorrow, I hope to take Bode (and Gianna) somewhere special. It is a surprise!  This means that Babycakes is going to have to forgo her usual 4 hour beauty sleep/morning nap so that we can hit the road, Jack. If we have a successful trip, I'll post about it tomorrow!
xo

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love photo-stories! How old is she? She looks about my daughter's age...

    ReplyDelete