Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chatty Cathy

Speed dialing and scheming at 19 months


This morning, the babies were playing around the table while I cleaned up the kitchen. I had made Bode  French toast as a special Valentine's breakfast. The kitchen was a disaster. Gianna was in the high chair snacking. Bode was underneath the table, playing with cars.  And then, this is what I heard:

"Hello."

It sounded familiar. It sounded...like my voice.  I looked around the room. Was somebody here?

Gianna said Hi.

"Hi, Gianna"

I scanned the room again.  I wasn't completely panicking but something was odd.  Was Bode playing an old video of me?

Bode giggled and said, "Hi!"

"Hi, Bode"

And then a chorus of giggles and "Hi's" from these two monkeys.

Who is it?  Was somebody really here? The voice was so familiar. I looked around again. I looked out the patio. I cautiously stepped over to the table.   And there, in front of Gianna, was my phone.  But the Contacts list was displayed, and the name highlighted was RWF's old admin.  That wasn't right. I picked up the phone and clicked it.  My sister's name appeared.  And, she was on speakerphone!

Phew!  I said, "Hello?  Did you call?"  And my sister said that "I" called her.  Oh no "I" didn't.  Gianna did!  We laughed about it.  My sister thought it was funny, and I was glad to hear her sound happy.

When I got off the phone, I gave Gianna a hug and thanked her for wishing Aunt Claudia a Happy Valentine's Day.  And then, Bode became tearful, "I want to call Aunt Craudia! I want to tell Aunt Craudia Hi and wish her a Happy Vowentine's Day!" I explained that he had already had, and Aunt Cissy was happy to hear from him. But he was more insistent on calling her, not missing the name change, saying, "Aunt Cissy! I want to call Aunt Cissy! I want to tell her Hi"   A quick distraction was needed so I suggested that we go outside.  After some outdoor fun, Chatty Cathy (i.e., Gianna) was put down for a nap.    

Just a babe in the woods, until you give her a cell phone



Grey weather + raging headache = doom


Bode and I made cupcakes. When I put the cupcakes in the oven, I told Bode that they would bake while he napped. I told him that after he got up from his nap, we could decorate them.  (oh, you liar)

These polka-dot liners were adorable!

Bode has gotten good at pouring. And making his own beaded necklaces.

Bode says that using the mixer is "like construction! Wrrr!"

Raging headache is on the menu

A few minutes after I put him down for a nap, the cupcakes were ready.  I ate one. It was delicious. It was warm and fluffy. I don't think I've ever eaten a cupcake straight from the oven.  I decided right then that this is the best way to eat a cupcake, warm from the oven and no frosting necessary. So I ate another one. Oh delicious, warm cupcake, why has it taken us so long to meet?

But later, ai-yi-yi. I had a raging headache. I am positive it was from all the sugar in the cupcake.  Deceitful sugary cupcake! I thought about how awful I felt. I thought about how little Bode is, and how I hate to pollute his body with crap. But I didn't want to take away his fun. And I didn't want to be a liar. So I decided that if Bode wanted to decorate the cupcakes and/or eat one, then I would let him.  But if he didn't say anything about them, then into the trash they would go!  He did notice them, but only in passing. He smiled at them, and then moved onto the next great thing (cars).  I kept them, along with the evil frosting and toppings, on the counter all afternoon and evening, giving him fair opportunity to pursue the cupcake decorating. He never mentioned it. I tossed them after I put Bode down for bed.  And I have to say, I'm kind of happy that he didn't want one.  Now, who wants a tub of frosting, pink sprinkling sugar, and mini candy hearts?
How was your day? Maybe you heard from somebody unexpected. Maybe you ate something sweet.  Maybe you just had some sweet thoughts to make you smile today. Whatever it was, I hope that your day was lovely.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment