Thursday, February 9, 2012

Preschooler

Bode woke up this morning with me speaking in a sing-songy voice about getting ready for school.  He ate breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage (this boy loves sausage!) and blueberries) in his pjs.  I didn't want him to get his first-day-of-school-outfit dirty. 


He did not like me taking his photo. Who would so early in the morning?!  I couldn't resist.

I dressed him and then ran around like a chicken trying to remember things to bring (his outdoor clothes, snow boots, etc.).  I was a nervous wreck, feeling sick to my stomach, fighting "I don't know if I can do this" thoughts and all-out tears, while trying to remain happy and positive for Bode. I don't think I pulled it off. But he seemed to be just fine.
Official first-day-of-preschool outfit: white oxford shirt, navy/red striped sweater, navy cords, sneakers

We have never coached or explained school to Bode. It has just been a vague idea, a question, "Would you like to go to school?"  We have said that it is a place where he can play and make friends. I was suddenly worried that Bode would think that "school" was a free-for-all where he'd walk in and shout, "HEY!" and everyone would flock to him with all their cars in tow. So on the drive to the preschool, I tried to casually explain that he would have to listen to the teacher because she is "like a Mommy, and you have to do what she says while you are in school." At one point, Bode said that Gianna was going to school, too.  And I had a brief flash of worry.  When I explained that "just Bode" was going, he didn't say anything.  I went on about how Bode is "big" and Gianna is still too "little" for school, so "Bode will go first, make friends and have fun. And then Gianna can go to school when she is big like Bode." 

We got to the preschool and he was happy, tripping up the walk while checking out the playground equipment. I made him pose outside the door and he would only give me these cheesy, closed-eyes exaggerated smiles.  Thanks for helping out with the memories, Bode! And thanks, Gianna, for standing directly in your brother's limelight!



We walked in and the teacher's aide was there helping two little girls with their outside gear. Then the actual preschool teacher came out and we exchanged a few words. The teacher's aide explained that she would help Bode with his outdoor gear because they would play outside.  I immediately started putting Bode's gear on him myself. Then we walked outside together. The teacher's aide took Bode's hand and walked him over to the playground, explaining things to him. Then she winked at me and waved me on, mouthing, "He'll be fine!"
Bode outside his preschool with the teacher's aide. It is 20 degrees.

And that was that.  It happened so quickly. It was a very surreal, quick event for me. We were ushered out of the gate, and the next thing I knew, I was standing by my car, holding Gianna.  I craned my neck to catch a glimpse of Bode. No luck.  I considered sitting in my car for the whole two hours. Believe me, if I did not have Gianna with me, it would have been something I could have easily done. 

Instead, I ran an errand downtown. And then, since we already had a perfect parking space in what is the most crowded place for parking around here, I decided we might as well stay put. Since it was so early, we didn't have many options. So I went to Starbucks.  Gianna enjoyed eating a slice of banana bread by herself!  Bode usually holds the banana bread, so she usually has to wait for Bode to hand over crumbs (after I plead with him to "please share with Gianna!").  She was all smiles in Starbucks, scarfing up the banana bread while sharing the banquet seat with me. I enjoyed her smiles and laughs, because I was still feeling a little unmoored. I missed my other anchor, Bode! I prayed that he was having fun.  I just kept repeating, "have fun, have fun" in my head and wishing that all was going good for him.





We stayed in Starbucks until it was time to pick up Bode. I did run by Dunkin' Donuts to get him a special after-first-day-of-school treat (he loves their sausage egg & cheese croissant!).  When we got to the preschool, there were a few moms standing around outside. I was confused. Why was everyone just casually standing around chatting it up? Don't you know that it's time to pick up our babies?  I reached for the door, and it was locked. I peered into the window and saw the two teachers amidst a crowd of little ones with coats and hats galore on the benches. I looked back at the women talking in a circle. One lady explained, "Oh, we usually wait out here for them. They have to bundle them up one-by-one, so it takes some time."  Oh, yeah?  Well I don't like that.  Especially not after waiting impatiently for his first day of preschool to come to an end!  But I waited. And waited. And waited.  Gianna played on the playground, fell off a swing, and cried. I impatiently stomped over to her and said, "We have to wait by the door for Bode!" (read: sorry about the possible concussion, but I want to see your brother!)  I wanted to be right there when Bode came out, so that there was no question that I was waiting for him. Plus, I was just so anxious to see him!

Of course he was the last one out the door. I'm sure this was choreographed so that the teacher and teacher's aide could speak to me alone about Bode's first day.  When he walked out (holding the teacher's aide's hand), I immediately rushed him, gave him a big hug and kiss.  The teacher's aide said that he did great.  Then she gave him a hug. The teacher said, "He fell right in. Really, it was like he's been with us the whole year. There were a couple of times when he wasn't sure about following along, but then, he would. He was perfect."  

He looked absolutely exhausted. And he was. We went home, ate the snack ("thank you, mommy, thank you for my special surprise") and started to read. But he was so tired that I didn't even finish a book. I just walked him straight up to his room. He was zonked!

Most importantly, Bode enjoyed his first day. He said that he likes school and wants to go again. 
Perfect.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment