Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter

Where to begin?  We had a lovely Easter.  In the morning, RWF and I walked up to the babies' rooms together and got them up.  They were both happy. We walked downstairs to see if the Easter Bunny had actually come to our house.  I was a bit of a tease, walking Bode around every room and saying, "Hmm. No, it doesn't look like he was here...."  until we reached the playroom.  Then I stopped dramatically and GASPED.  Bode peered around the corner and didn't see anything but his usual toys. He walked into the room, looking around and said, "No, not here either..." and I said, "Bode, look!"  There by the fireplace, the Easter Bunny had left two baskets.  Hooray!

This year was a first because Bode got candy!  I struggled with the idea for the longest time. Every time we read a certain Easter book that described the chocolate bunnies, marshmallow chicks and jelly beans that the Easter Bunny puts in baskets, Bode would get a shy smile on his face and quietly say, "I wonder if the Easter Bunny is going to reave me dose dings."  RWF and I discussed, and RWF was game, so I bought some Jelly Bellys and Peeps for Bode's basket.  We filled two plastic eggs with a few Jelly Bellys and then tossed some more in Bode's basket grass for good measure. I also bought two "panoramic eggs" because I was feeling very nostalgic.  We used to get them in our baskets in my family.  Do you remember them?  They are sugar eggs with a window that you can look inside of. There is usually a flower or a chick inside (made of more sugar!).  I just wanted Bode and Gianna to have that part of my childhood.  I had a really emotional time shopping for Easter this year.  All the candy and decorations reminded me of my mother.  And I spent a lot of time thinking about Easters past, and how our Easter baskets were always so wonderful, packed full of candy.

Then our family came over for a lunch and quality baby time.  Of course it looked like Christmas, because our family can not visit without bestowing gifts on these two monkeys.  And there were a ton of delicious desserts!  You know that there were a ton of sweets if I can honestly tell you that I have no desire to eat chocolate right now. 


Bode and I made a forsythia branch to decorate the playroom.  I found the craft in Highlights magazine and thought it would be a cheerful decoration for Spring/Easter.  We went outside and gathered a bunch of branches out of our yard.  But we ended up only doing one branch, because Bode quickly grew bored of the craft.   It is a neat craft, and if I have a few spare minutes, I'd like to continue working on it. 

Gianna could care less about the Easter Bunny or the Easter basket at this age. She was more interested in dumping the contents out of her basket and then spreading the Easter grass all over the playroom floor!




Bode looked very happy.  Both babies got sidewalk chalk, bubbles, a pinwheel, a book, and a panoramic egg.  When Bode saw the Jelly Bellys and Peeps, he shyly asked, "What's dis? What do I do with dis?" Oh, he knows!  We told him what they were and then he asked, "Can I eat them?"   I said, "You can eat one jelly bean now."  But he's a bit timid about trying new things (even sugar!) so he didn't try it until he sat down for breakfast.  Here is what his breakfast plate looked like (I didn't do this, he did!):

Hard-boiled egg and Jelly Bellys = breakfast of champions
We spent the day with our family, enjoying each other's company (we do not see each other often enough), gathering around the table for lunch, having a quick egg hunt, and then enjoying coffee & dessert afterwards. Easter was a day of sunshine, laughter, and love.  Perfect!
Happy Easter, Passover, and Spring!
xo


Uncle Craig and Gianna = BFF



Aunt Dawnie's  cake pops
Aunt Debbie's egg baskets

Aunt Mary Lou's grain pie and Aunt Dawnie's cheesecake

Nana's cookies
Me and my little chickie
My boy

No comments:

Post a Comment