Monday, April 30, 2012

The weekend



Friday, I had a parent-teacher conference with Bode's preschool teacher. It was my first parent-teacher conference ever (of course) and I was so nervous.  It didn't start out so great. I immediately felt attacked, and felt like my son was not being viewed in his best, natural light. I took a deep breath, and tried to be open to what his teacher had to say. As I relaxed into the discussion and actually listened, I heard that the teacher was actually echoing some concerns already owned by me and RWF. In the end, I left with some ideas about Bode, and a plan. 

Saturday we went to Bode's preschool for an open house.  We are trying to decide what to do about next Fall.  Bode clearly enjoys his school, but we still have to decide what is best for him going forward.  While we were talking to a teacher outside, I was watching Bode play with some little girls by a tree swing.  I looked away from Bode for a second, then as I looked back at him, I thought I saw one little girl push Bode down. It was clear that he had been pushed, but I didn't see it for myself.  I had to steel myself and will my feet to not run over to Bode.  "Wait and see what he does," an inner voice told me.  I watched Bode and could see a look of confusion and surprise cross over his face.  He looked at the "pusher" for a long time, but did not cry, and did not strike back.  A few minutes later, the "pusher" struck out at another little girl.  This little girl immediately started crying and running toward her mother.  

Observing this kind of behavior, I was ready to pull Bode from school immediately and never look back. I don't want Bode exposed to any unnecessary roughness or cruel words.  I know that I can't control what happens around or to my children while they are in school. It is a sad fact that "bullying" is alive and well today, causing children and teens to become depressed and take their own lives.  I know that this is not the first, or last, time that one of my children is going to be the direct target or an observer to bad behavior. But it was very hard to watch this happen to my 3 year old, and not do something about it.  I felt bad all day and all night, wondering if I should have stepped in.  Later that night, I confessed my confusion to RWF, and we talked about it.   RWF had seen the pushing, too. RWF felt like I had done the right thing, because I wasn't right there when it happened, it wasn't right for me to rush over and jump all over this "pusher."  He said that it also took all of his will power not to go over there and say something himself.  I still have mixed feelings about whether I should have done something.  (In the end, the "pusher" was "outed" by the other little girl that she had pushed after Bode. The selfish, mean part of me wanted to run over to the "pusher's" mom and say, "Yeah, and she pushed my son, too!" hoping to double up the "pusher's" reprimand/punishment. BTW, the "pusher" is 5 years old, and she looked mean, if you know what I'm saying.)

Not mean-looking, or mean-spirited, at all.

Sunday we went to Saratoga Spa State Park.  It was a lovely sunny day (though chilly), and it was so nice to walk around the park. We had the space practically all to ourselves. It was very peaceful and relaxing. The children enjoyed the creek the most. Gianna was more than ready to jump in and see what the creek was all about. Eeek!  

Bode enjoyed throwing rocks into the creek, and the loud "kur-plunk" that followed.  Even Priscilla couldn't resist the cool, flowing creek water. 

Wind, wind, go away. Come again some other day.
Enjoying a sundress - inside!

The weather has been crazy, and really trying my patience.  The sun fools us into thinking it is really Spring-going-on-Summer, and I dress my children in light layers. But then we head outside, and the temps and the wind warn us, "Don't even think about it." So we put on our down and wool over it all, hoping to stave off another chill while we enjoy the sun outside. In the evenings, we are down to freezing temps, with the heat pumping on and off throughout the night.  I have to admit that I do enjoy sleeping with the heat keeping the house cozy.

Happy Monday!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment