Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mia Gianna: 22 months

My beauty queen, giving herself a mud facial





Dear Gianna,
You are becoming more opinionated every day.  Some mornings, it takes me forever to get you dressed.  You don't want to wear that shirt, or those pants, etc. etc.  Some days you refuse to wear a cloth diaper. Other days, you will wear a cloth diaper and nothing else.  Yesterday you insisted on wearing a red corduroy pinafore with no shirt or tights. You didn't care when I pointed out that this wasn't the right season for red corduroy.  You just saw ladybugs on the dress and insisted on wearing it. "Lady! lady!" you repeated over and over until I put the dress on you. Obviously we didn't leave the house, because it was hardly appropriate to dress like that in this crazy weather we are having. The other day, with a defiant glint in your eye, you said, "NO! No, mommy." as you stripped off your diaper. Free as a bird, you continued playing with toys as if nothing had happened.




You love our little ritual of going to the bookstore after we drop Bode off at preschool (shhh, don't tell Bode!). We sit and have a snack, and then go back to the childrens' section to play with the train table and browse books. You walk all around the store by yourself, and you never stray from me.  Today, I tried to leave the bookstore without our usual stop at the childrens' section. We had a bunch of errands to do, and I was anxious to do them before we had to pick up Bode from preschool.  I told you that we were leaving and you said, "No, choo-choo! Choo-choo! Choo-choo, mommy."  So we walked back to the childrens' section and enjoyed a few minutes at the train table. 

Your third (or fourth?) haircut. You've never minded a hair cut!




These past two weeks, you've added a whole bunch of words to your vocabulary. I can't even remember what some of those words are, but you are surprising me daily with new words. 

Today we went to the grocery store, and you were thrilled when I let you sit in the basket of the cart. This coveted spot is usually reserved for your big brother when we can't find a two-seater cart. You definitely felt like hot stuff, as you smiled and laughed at other shoppers, like, "Check it, baby! I'm in the cool seat today!" 



You are aware of what you are NOT to have, as you love to pick up these things and say, "he, mama, he." (here, mama, here)  You hand these forbidden items over to me as if you are doing me a favor.  I always respond with an enthusiastic, "Thank you, Gianna!"  I love how you say, "here" and I think it is funny that you say, "mama," instead of your usual "mommy" in these instances.


The most surprising development this past month is that you walk up the stairs on your own. One day, I announced that it was time for your nap, and without any protest, you got up and walked away. I followed behind from a distance to see what you were up to.  To my complete surprise, you were walking up the stairs. You used to crawl/knee-walk up the stairs (loudly) but now, you are upright, on your own two legs. 

Just remember that I am always right behind you to catch you if you should slip.  

Love,
Mommy
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment