Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Say my name, say my name



My little baby boy about to become a big brother to MGF
"Say what? Baby? I'M the baby..."

One of my most favorite things about expecting a baby, besides feeling so fabulously pregnant and all that entails (yes, I am serious...I love being pregnant.), is picking out names.  

I take names very seriously. I give them a lot of thought. And I enjoy the whole name sleuthing game.  So, naturally, I have already started my list of boy names.  

RWF does not share my enthusiasm for name sleuthing and discussion.  But he knows that it is important to me, so he participates when I ask for his opinion.  

The other night, I read my first long list to him.  This is one of several lists that I have going. This is my "Four Letter Boy Names" list.  

RWF was not overjoyed or excited about any of my names.  (no surprise there)

Here is part of my list with his accompanying response:


Luke - "Luke. Yeah. Wait. LUKE? Isn't that your friend Kristi's baby's name?" (sheepish, "Uhm. Yeah. But I really like it....")
Cade - LOL
Liam - NO!
Jack - No
Ryan - "Well, maybe-WAIT...wasn't that on Bode's list? No, we're not re-using names."
Nico - LOLOLOLOL
Ezra - NO
Evan - shrug
Hugh - LOL, Nooo

I am 20 weeks pregnant. I've got plenty of time. And I'll enjoy that time while I have it.  And I'm not worried about RWF's opinion.  Mia Gianna was on my list when I was 6 months pregnant. At 8 months pregnant, I shared my official name choice with RWF. I very distinctly remember RWF's response when I floated it past him. We were sitting around a wading pool in our backyard in California. Bode was splashing in the pool, sputtering, gasping and laughing at his ability to pour water over his own head.  I looked across the pool at RWF, and asked, "What about, Mia Gianna?" RWF laughed out loud and said, "You're not serious, are you?" I shelved it. But it was #1 on my list from the start.  To me, it was perfect.  Mia is a name I love, and it is short, so it would go well with our last name. Gianna is an Italian (feminine) version of John, for my father. Last, I like that Gianna has "ann" in it, for my sisters (we are all "Ann" in middle name). But I didn't argue my points to RWF that sunny afternoon.  I just waited.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment