Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The long weekend in photos, part trois



What is Memorial Day weekend without a Memorial Day parade?  This is the question I was asking myself before the long weekend began.  I had read in the paper that the Memorial Day parade in Saratoga Springs had been cancelled, due to "lack of spirit" and funds.  I was really disappointed to hear this; how is cancelling a parade going to help keep the "spirit" of a national holiday alive and well?

Apparently, I was not alone in my thinking.  On Saturday evening, I was Googling, "Memorial Day parade" for options close to us. That is when I found out that the Saratoga Springs parade was back on!  A young (33 years old), local guy turned to social media and decided to reach out to his community to help keep the parade afloat. (pun intended!) With generous donations, many volunteers and participants, he was able to secure the money needed for the permit and organize the parade, just in time!

Hooray!!!





We watched, clapped, and waved our mini flags as veterans, soldiers, "war dogs," horses, police men on horseback, and (the long awaited, much anticipated by Mr. Bode Wm) firemen and their fire trucks strolled, walked, trotted and rolled down our town's main street.

There was one Navy guy who stepped out of formation, ran over to his mother (who happened to be in front of us) and gave her a bouquet of flowers, a hug and a kiss. Swoon!

I was very happy and emotional.  I am also thankful to this local guy who saved the town parade. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and I love marking the holiday amongst like-minded citizens, who honor and thank those who have served for us.

Afterward, we took the babies down to Congress Park to see the ducks (as did everyone else with a child in tow, apparently).



RWF catching Gianna just before she shimmied down into the creek!



I hope that you had a lovely Memorial Day and a fun, long weekend. I also hope that you took a moment to think about all the people who have touched your life, made you better, and kept you safer.
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment