Sunday, March 3, 2013

Diet is a four letter word




Remember Nico's rash? It's back.  Nico's face was all red and blotchy earlier this week, with these raised, scaly red patches all over his face and scalp. He looked miserable, but he wasn't acting like it. Still, we went to the pediatrician, and discussed what's been going on and what I'm eating.  I told the pediatrician that I have been eating a lot of nuts, oranges, and (drum roll) I hadn't given up my beloved mocha. When I said that I had switched from milk to soy for my mocha, his eyes lit up.  "A-ha!" he said "Soy!"  I was told that 40% of people that are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy.  I also mentioned eggs. Yep, eggs could also be a trigger. So I'm avoiding dairy and dairy items, soy, and eggs.  The ped also made my heart break because he prescribed a cream for Nico, explaining that Nico probably feels pretty itchy.  He offered to do a blood test on Nico to pinpoint allergies, but I declined. I don't want my baby going through that. 

I'm back on the elimination diet.

I hate the word, "diet" and have always prided myself on not trying anything like a diet. This is a little different, of course. But it has made me feel bad for people with real food sensitivities and allergies (hello, Andrew!) that have to be extremely careful.  It's such a bummer.  On Friday, I was at lunch with RWF. Scanning the menu, everything contained cheese, even the salads.  I was disheartened and said, "What can I eat?!!"  I settled on a turkey sandwich with just lettuce and meat.  It was bland.  Going out to eat wasn't as fun.  And I don't even have 'real' restrictions to my diet like some people do.  

I am keeping a log of everything that I eat.  It is pretty funny to read, and I can tell that I am not eating as much because it is written down!  I think twice before shoveling a handful of tortilla chips into my mouth, thinking, "Well if RWF reads this, he's going to see that I ate chips..." (not that RWF cares, but it does make me think twice)

Saturday's food diary:

1 slice pear
2 cups coffee w/Coffee Mate (yes, I realize that this contains casein)
3 slices of pear
1 small slice of banana bread (yes, eggs...but I read that eggs don't pose a threat if they've been cooked in a product for a long time) (and Nico looks fine)
chili
7 tortilla chips
salad (lettuce, cukes, carrots)
hamburger w/bun
french fries

So there's a written account of Saturday. I have a feeling that my log is going to be a lot longer and more varied as the week wears on. My guard will go down, and I'll start eating freely and not care as much about who sees what I ate!  Again, I know it sounds like I'm complaining. But I would really do anything for this baby! If I had to eat only lettuce for the next 6 months to keep him happy, I would do it.  
This child has no food allergies, thank goodness. And judging by this photo, I would say that she loves herself.



Another positive to this diet is, I'm not running over to Starbuck's every 5 minutes for a mocha.  In fact, now that I know that I can't even have a drink from Starbuck's, I don't even want to leave the house!  Put that bow away, Gianna, we are not going out today!

I am losing weight and saving money. ;)

And, I'm happy to say that Nico is looking better already.

Attention all you slackers: today is the last day to enter for the giveaway!  Just leave a comment here, and I'll draw two (2) winners tonight after I get all the monkeys to bed.  It's going to be a fun little package!
Happy weekend.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment