Friday, April 4, 2014

A good meal

Yesterday afternoon, Bode, Gianna and I were sitting around the kids' table coloring when Bode announced, "Mommy, I want to donate Gianna."  I laughed out loud.  But he was serious.  "I want to know what it's like on my own," he continued. "No you don't!" I protested.  "Yes, I do. I want to donate her to somebody else."  At the second mention of being given away, Gianna started wailing.  "I don't want to be donated!" she cried.  I switched seats so that I could hold her and reassure her that she was not being dumped into some roadside donation bin.  Then I addressed Bode.  "Bode, you don't mean that. You wouldn't last  5 seconds without Gianna."  "I want to know what it's like on my own.  I want to be the only one."  he insisted.

I changed the subject to dinner, and the donation of Gianna was no longer discussed.

We made Ginger Chicken with Asparagus.  I found it in one of my food magazines, and it wasn't even a featured recipe. It was an advertisement for McCormick Ground Ginger (I guess I might as well mention the brand since I tried the recipe?).  I used real ginger. And my two monkeys/sous chefs helped out.  Not only did they help me, but they demonstrated such good will to each other, sharing and talking while they chopped and stirred.  All was well, and dinner was delicious.

Step 1:

Hand the monkeys kid-friendly knives (found on amazon here) and have them chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces. 


Step 2:
While the monkeys are on veggie detail, chop 4 chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks. Then mince ginger and garlic.

Step 3:
Have the monkeys pour soy sauce, oil, and broth into a measuring cup.  This teaches them pouring skills as well as how to measure ("Fill it to the 2, Gianna.").  Have one monkey add the minced ginger and garlic to the marinade. The monkeys then take a very, very long time taking turns stirring the marinade.  This goes on forever until you realize that the poor neglected chicken breasts are never going to marinate for an hour if you don't rush this bit along.  Tell the older monkey to pour the marinade over the chicken pieces.  Put the chicken in the fridge while it marinates.




Step 4:  
When the two chimps joke about eating the raw asparagus, dare them to eat one.  They will think that they are being funny and daring, eating the raw asparagus. But you know better. You just tricked them into eating a raw vegetable!  




Step 5: 
While they consume half the (raw) asparagus, ask the monkeys if they want white rice or brown rice.  When the eldest monkey states that he wants brown rice, ask him what the difference is between white and brown rice.  Be secretly pleased and think, "He's so smart," when he answers that brown rice is chewier and more grain-y than white rice, and then remember that yes, he is a smart alec when he adds, "Oh, it's also BROWN. And white rice is...WHITE!" Like, duh.  Then start water on stove to make brown rice.  


Step 6:
Realize that the baby chimp has woken up from his nap and has been crying for attention for how long (???) while you were reading recipes and the other monkeys were stirring the marinade (forever).  Run to baby chimp's room and find him like this:


Hug, kiss and pat baby chimp over & over until he ceases to cry.  Then take him out of his sleepy sack,  change his diaper and put him in pants/socks. Bring him out to the kitchen to bond with his other chimp family members.

Step 7:
While chicken continues to marinade, try to ignore the crazy monkey behavior that occurs in the "witching hour" known to all mothers.






Note: baby monkey is fine and not psychologically harmed from crib abandonment

Step 8:
Take chicken out of fridge.  Continue to ignore crazy monkey behavior but direct all monkey behavior out of the kitchen while you heat up oil in large skillet.  Once monkeys have vacated kitchen, sauté  chicken and then asparagus.  Mix asparagus into chicken mixture so that everything is coated in yummy gingery sauce. Plate chicken/asparagus/rice onto divided plastic plates for all monkeys to eat.  Once food has cooled slightly, call monkeys back into kitchen to sit at monkey table and eat dinner.  Enjoy the meal that was prepared as a family (a family that loves each other very much and would never donate one another!).

Happy Friday!
xo



No comments:

Post a Comment