Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spring Break has sprung



Bode and Gianna are officially on Spring Break!

Truthfully, when the teachers dismissed the classes yesterday, announcing, "Happy Spring Break!" I felt kind of...sad.  And unprepared. Like, "Really? Already? Are you sure that you don't want to keep them in school for the rest of the week?"  Because I was not ready to have my two monkeys full-time for the rest of this week, and the next!



After school, we dyed Easter eggs.  I had (mistakenly) told the children that we would color Easter eggs and of course, they were beyond excited.  They were so excited that I had to commit to the activity like, immediately.  



This morning, over breakfast, we brainstormed on what to do with our Spring Break. 

Here is our list (fantastically artistic styling by yours truly). You can probably guess who chose what activity.  They actually had a fun time coming up with ideas.  I only had to nix, or modify, some of the suggestions. 



1. Buy a book (Bode)
2. Buy a dress (Gianna)

(Okay, pause for my internal thoughts:  First of all, BUY A BOOK? Why? When you get a book (or two, or three, actually)  gifted to you once a month?  Also, buy a dress?  You have a closet full of dresses and really, only wear 2 of them on repeat. Moving on:)

3. Plant seeds (Bode. We already started this, but we have more to plant.)
4. Go on a trip (Bode. I gleefully wrote this one down.)
5. Go to OMSI (me, because the forecast calls for - you guessed it! - rain! all week.)
6. Go to backyard (Bode. Eh...okay.)
7. Go to library (me, I think)
7. Paul Bunyon statue (me, all of us. I searched for suggestions on my phone and they picked this from what I read aloud.)

Are you paying attention?  TWO number 7s on the list.  This is called motherhood. This is called "Me, on no coffee, at 8 AM."

8. Zoo (Bode & Gianna. Eh. I have my own opinions about zoos. This is a big MAYBE on the list.)
9. Ice cream (Gianna)
10. Eat breakfast out (Bode)

We will see how much we get done in a week's time, especially if we go on our trip.  The children are just really, really excited about having a list! of things! to do!  Bode has been walking around with the list in his hands all morning, announcing various things to do.  Of course, it's 10 o'clock in the morning and we haven't done anything but get dressed.  The delay is due, of course, to this little dude:



I insist on keeping the nap schedule.  I want him to at least get a morning nap in before we set off.  Bode and Gianna are so anxious to leave the house (it's raining!) so I need to be able to 'get' as soon as Nico wakes up. So that means I must close this and publish.  

But first...a note on our nook table. You may have noticed that our nook table does not fit the nook. It is actually (you could probably guess) the children's table.  

I'm terribly, terribly embarrassed by this set up.  So here's the story, and it's what I tell everyone who walks into the house (whether they care to hear it or not).  When we moved in, I was determined to find a nook table immediately. That nook is actually one of the only features of the house that I like.  So one of my "alone time" activities when we moved in was searching for the perfect nook table.  I soon found out that it does not exist.  Well, I found out that it does exist. You can buy it from Pottery Barn! But...I don't want to spend Pottery Barn pricing on a nook table for a house that we are soon to move out of (I hope!).  I don't want to live here anymore. So now the nook table hunt is...well, off the table (pun!).   I am annoyed by the kid table set up but not annoyed enough to fix it. And really, the children are the only ones that sit there (a lot) so it kind of fits them (???).  So! That's the story.  That is why you see a kids table (that doesn't fit)  in a breakfast nook.  Don't you feel better now that you know? ;)

Now to take something off that Spring Break list....
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment