Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Easter











Gianna dressed up in her Easter dress (A dress gifted by her Nana over a year ago. It's been a loooong wait on that dress for Gianna!).  Bode rolled out of bed and put on his favorite Earth shirt and leggings.  Everybody wore Easter Bunny ears.  And everybody (except Nico) immediately started eating the candy out of their baskets. The Easter Bunny left jelly beans,  chocolate bunnies, and 2 Peeps in Bode and Gianna's baskets, along with a jump rope.  Nico got a basket with a ball (that had an Easter Bunny on it). 

While the children were looking through their baskets, RWF was outside hiding eggs. At one point, Bode looked out the window and yelled, "Hi, Daddy!" and I quickly told him to sit down and "count your candy!" or something silly like that.  I don't think he knew what RWF was doing, but I didn't want him to catch on...because it's supposed to be an Easter Bunny thing, not a Daddy thing.

Bode and Gianna were so polite to each other during the Easter Egg hunt. They turned into acquaintances before our eyes, saying, "Here, you go first..." and each of them deciding that a blue one was meant for Bode, and a pink egg was meant for Gianna. "Here, Gianna, I found a pink one for you!" I don't know where they got that but it was so funny. And they would give each other eggs so easily...not worrying about how much each one had.  Well, except at the end, when Bode announced, "Mommy, I have MORE eggs than Gianna, right?" (He didn't but we all eventually agreed to agree that everyone had the right amount of eggs.)   

I made a simple Easter dinner (late lunch) of ham, roasted potatoes and green beans. Nobody wanted deviled eggs and so I left those off, too.  I thought a lot of my mom while I was cooking.  I really miss her every day, but a lot more during holidays. For his first real Easter meal, Nico ate everything except the ham. He had nothing on his tray except for the tiny bites of ham I had put there. He kept screeching at the table.  I kept offering things but he  would answer "No," and then screech again. Exasperated, I said, "I don't know what you want!"  Finally, RWF took a slice of ham and gave it to Nico.   Nico immediately started eating it, caveman style. He then demanded another piece once he had finished his first slice of ham.  


It was interesting to watch our children morph from mild-mannered, cheerful beings into screechy, whiney monsters! (Not judging anyone but this is why I do not give my children candy! It was actually painful as the day wore on and RWF & I swore again and again, "no more candy!") The plastic eggs containing candy were not opened until the 2nd day. It was Gianna who discovered that opening the eggs revealed - surprise! - more candy. (we certainly weren't going to tell them!)

Gianna ate much more candy on the sly (no surprise there) whereas Bode hoarded his candy and did not eat much (no surprise there, either).  I think Gianna had 3 jelly beans left, and Bode's basket was still filled with all kinds of candy. 

We let them eat and keep their candy for 2 days.  And then, it magically disappeared (into the trash).  Monday night, I went around the house and gathered all Easter items and stored or threw them away. The next morning, I was bracing myself for whining and questions, but nothing happened. It was almost as if they were 'done' with Easter, too.

RWF and I both really, really missed family this year.  We talked a lot about our New York Easters and decided that we needed to invite family over for a visit every year.  You're invited! Make your plans now!
Happy Easter & happy Spring!
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment