Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cheese, part three


Nico had his 18 month check up a couple of weeks ago. As I had feared, his weight is on the light side.  I knew that he was definitely not chunking up, and seemed to be staying the same size (for a long time). So I was disappointed, but not surprised, when the pediatrician announced his weight.






Of course, I immediately went home and looked up Bode's weight for 18 months.  I knew that Bode was a big toddler and I knew that he would dwarf Nico at this age (not that it matters).  It doesn't matter what the weight difference is - I tell myself all the time that Nico looks, feels, and is smaller.

I looked up an email I had written about Bode at 18 months.  It really took me back.  It was so neat to read about Bode and what he was like at 18 months.  I'm so glad that I kept these notes. Reading about 18 month old Bode started a new "love affair" with him.  I watch Bode now with fresh eyes, seeing him as the toddler  he was, and as the 5 year old he is now. I reach out and squeeze him, thinking of that happy little guy with the easy laugh, who used to toddle around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth. 

Bode, 17 months

(are you kidding me??? swoooooon.)

Now, whenever I feel like this blog is stupid and pointless, I'm going to keep writing anyway.  The old notes on Bode's and Gianna's babyhood just confirmed for me that I want these memories written down. I can try to hold these memories in my heart, and in my head, but some things just need to be recorded. I won't always remember how their baby skin smelled so sweet, what each child's voice sounded like when they first started babbling, or how their laughter rang through the house each morning...but at least I can write about milestones and events, and hopefully, that will trigger some of the rest.


Bode, 18 months

The pediatrician suggested that we give dairy another go with Nico. Based on what I've told her about his reactions, she doesn't think that it is an allergy.  So we will start again on dairy (and eggs!) and hope that his body accepts it. We started with some mild shredded cheese. Nico was very happy to eat it (of course, I think the worst: my baby is hungry). We're going to keep giving Nico little bits of dairy at meals.  I'm also trying to 'fatten' him up in other ways.  I'm dousing his pasta in lots of olive oil, offering avocado (he doesn't like it), and yogurt (made with coconut milk). Any other ideas for high (good) fat meals?
Hopefully, this time, Nico will not have any reactions to dairy.  Keep your fingers crossed!  
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment