Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A real-life example of why you should stick with one child, and not have another*



A rare moment together



Yesterday was so beautiful, with sun and temps in the 60s.  After naps, we visited a local park.  This is our first park visit in our new town.  The park was large, with a softball field, tennis courts, and three different playground structures.  It was also a very busy place, because everyone was out enjoying the weather.  I only mention this because I had the hardest time keeping track of Bode.  He would run off!  I was completely stressed, but tried to maintain a "zen-like" mother appearance.  At one point, Bode ran onto a tennis court while people were trying to play.  Another time, Bode hopped onto a see-saw that two adults were riding with their infant daughter.  They stopped immediately and seemed at a loss about what to do with this kid who just climbed onto their see-saw. I walked over and tried to coax Bode off the see-saw. I tried explaining to Bode why it wasn't a great idea to be riding the see-saw like that (straddling the middle, no handles). He only said, "No! Go, go, go!" When reasoning failed, I told the parents that they could continue to ride the see-saw. They did, slowly and tentatively, while I made small talk with them, keeping my hand on Bode while I chatted. I think that they were terrified. They were young and had that naiveté that comes with the first baby, the first baby that does nothing but sit there like a blob, burps, and coos.   Their warm-fuzzy "baby's first visit to the park"daydream was brought into sharp, Technicolor focus when Bode Wm. crashed their party. 

Where was Gianna, you ask?  She was in a swing, several feet away.  Another (kind) mom was giving Gianna an occasional push while Gianna called for me over and over, "Mommy! Mommy!"  





I was divided.  I was trying to push Gianna in the swing (she did not want to leave the swing, ever!).  I was also trying to track Bode at all times, and intercept him from interrupting other people's games.  I know that this is not the first time, or the last time, I will feel so divided and stressed over my two babies.




The children really enjoyed the park.  I'm not sure that I did.  On the drive home, I tried to explain to Bode that "we" needed to stick together at the park, and play together.  I said, "I need to be able to see you at all times. You can't run off without me and Gianna."  I don't think anything I said made any sense to him!   




Typical boy, picking up sticks and pinecones along the way.

"I'm making moosic!"

"Rook at all dese pinecones!"

I am hoping that it was just the fun and novelty of being at an actual park that had him so crazy!  Remember, we used to go to the park once, sometimes twice, a day in CA.  Here, we have only been once before winter really set in. Maybe now that the weather is warming up, and  once we get to a park regularly again, he will slow down so we can enjoy it together.
Happy Tuesday.
xo

*This post title is simply a joke, and nothing more.  I love both my children more than anything in the world.  No need for concerned emails to be sent my way, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment