Monday, March 5, 2012

Hattie's

Friday night, RWF and I were in the kitchen discussing weekend plans.  RWF proposed eating breakfast out Saturday morning. Since eating breakfast out is one of my favorite things in the world, I happily agreed. I went to bed anticipating the pancakes that I would be enjoying the next morning.

Saturday morning, RWF spontaneously proposed that we drive over to West Mountain to check out the ski area.  I agreed, even though I knew that it would delay breakfast a little.  We went to West and it was just okay. Well, it was fine for Bode and RWF to ski.  The lodge was not any place where I wanted to hang out. I've been spoiled by Sundance, Deer Valley and other nice ski resorts!

We headed back into town for breakfast.  I reviewed the menu of the one rec that I had received, and I wasn't jazzed about the menu. They only had lemon ricotta pancakes on the menu. I wanted old-fashioned buttermilk!  So we drove on while I scanned my iPhone for breakfast recommendations. The restaurants I reviewed all had special brunch menus involving eggs benedict, poached eggs over polenta, etc. Nobody had a simple breakfast menu. I was so disappointed. All I wanted were pancakes.   We found one other place downtown that had a breakfast menu. It was a little cafe. There were fake flowers in the window and it had an old-fashioned look about it.  "It looks kind of "potpourri-y" RWF announced. Luckily we found a parking space across the street. After a lot of debate, it was decided I should run in and scope it out.  It was an old drug store with an old-fashioned candy counter and bench seating. It was packed, and  there were a lot of people waiting. Worst, a family of 5 had just signed up before me.  It would be forever before we were seated in a booth. Angry, I stormed out of the restaurant. I was so hungry. And all I wanted were pancakes! Downtown was busy with traffic, preventing me from getting back to the car. I yelled across the street to RWF that this restaurant wouldn't do. I was mad, and RWF knew it.  I finally crossed the street and got into the car. "Let's just go," I fumed. I slammed my door behind me.  RWF started the car up and the car was filled with tension. I was so mad because I couldn't find any place that just sells pancakes!  At that moment, I hated where we lived and I hated the day.  RWF drove around like a crazy person, just driving. "I don't want to do this. Drive me home, now!" I demanded.  

Bode tried to make peace from the back seat.  "I think we should just go to the cafe.  Mommy, it will be alright. Don't you think we should just go to the cafe?"  he reasoned in his sweet little boy voice.  

This broke my heart.  At the next stop sign, RWF stopped and stared at me. We looked at each other while Bode again suggested the cafe as a great alternative. We looked at each other and smiled softly, both thinking that Bode was our little peacemaker.  I sniffled. I felt terrible being such a brat in front of my sweet little boy. I didn't want him to feel like he needed to make the situation right for me.  "Do you  want to just go grab some lunch?" I asked RWF.  "Yes!" he groaned, pointed the car back downtown, and we headed out for lunch.  

I was still angry that I wouldn't get pancakes.  All I wanted were pancakes!  But I decided that eating lunch out was the best thing for all of us.  We parked in a lot across the street from the restaurant Bode had suggested for lunch. As we walked, we both noticed another restaurant that we had reviewed on the iPhone. Actually, RWF had suggested it earlier, and I had dismissed it as being a Southern, Louisiana-style restaurant serving fried chicken and jambalaya.  RWF stopped in front of this place, called Hattie's.  It was an old house. A chalkboard outside announced "Brunch 9-2." RWF opened the screen door, and it squeaked loudly as we stepped inside.  The tiny place was packed with little cafe tables covered in red-checked tablecloths.  It wasn't busy.  The server greeted us and told us to sit anywhere we'd like.  

We sat down as she passed out menus.  The first thing I noticed was that they had buttermilk pancakes on the menu.  We were staying.  The menu looked delicious: buttermilk pancakes (did I mention the buttermilk pancakes?), beignets, biscuits and gravy,  and French toast.  I wanted one of everything.  We decided on a full stack of buttermilk pancakes and the "back porch breakfast" which consisted of 2 eggs, toast, and bacon.   I really, really wanted the biscuits and gravy.  I can't explain it. I've had this a few times in high school. My best friend Amy and I would go to a diner and that is what she would order.  Amy was a true Southern girl.  And right then, biscuits and gravy sounded perfect. But I decided to wait on the biscuits and gravy. Another time. I was here for pancakes. Bring on the pancakes!

Our breakfast was delicious. The coffee (served with cream) was hot and strong, but not too powerful. The pancakes were thick, but fluffy with a delicious warm, buttermilk flavor.  The back porch breakfast had soft  mounds of scrambled eggs that were coated in butter.  Speaking of butter, even the butter was delicious: rich and creamy, with a little hint of salt. It was one of those dining experiences where we just keep shoving the food in our mouths, not wanting to interrupt our very important eating with small talk.   RWF and I would just look up at each other while chewing our food, and kind of give a nod to each other, like, "Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout..." We now have a new breakfast place.  Hattie's is delicious! 

I feel terrible for being such a brat about my pancakes. But I'm so glad that it worked out like it did. I want to go back  to Hattie's right now.

On Sunday, RWF and Bode went skiing at West.  RWF drove off with Gianna's car seat still in the car. So when I decided that we needed to go to Target, Gianna rode shotgun.

I'm just kidding!

Gianna did ride forward-facing in the big car seat for the first time ever.  The QEII has the one big car seat set up, along with the  holder for Gianna's car seat. I am a firm believer in keeping children rear-facing in car seats for as long as possible. Luckily, Gianna is small enough that she can still ride rear-facing for awhile.  But Sunday, because of our car situation, Gianna got to experience riding in the car like her brother.  She really liked looking out the window like a big girl. 
She looks like a big girl!


Saturday and Sunday afternoons were spent outside enjoying the sunshine.  RWF took the babies out and helped them ride bikes, pulled them in the wagon, and pushed them around in their cars.  Afterward, they'd all come inside before dinner.  RWF would check out a basketball or lacrosse game to relax, and the babies would pile into his lap and watch the game with him. Poor P, she would have loved to cuddle in the green chair with everyone. But there just wasn't enough room for a big Coonhound.



Sorry, P!

I shopped for Easter decorations this weekend. I have a few ideas for the house. I am definitely doing some crafts with the children, at some point.  I think Bode and I will make banana nut bread today.
Happy Monday.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment