Thursday, March 22, 2012

A visit to Aunt Dawnie and Uncle Craig

We returned yesterday from a quick visit to Aunt Dawnie's and Uncle Craig's house.  We visited with Nana and Aunt Debbie (and Aunt Dawnie and Uncle Craig, too, of course).

I had reservations about my first solo (overnight) trip with the kiddos.  This is what the packing looked like:

This picture does not include 1 large package of wipes, 3 milk bottles, 3 sippy bottles, 2 snack cups, 1 penguin, 1 pink bunny, and the 5+ assorted cars that were brought along.

We had to stop about an hour into the journey because Miss Mia Drama Queen had to go and throw up not once, but three times, on herself.  The first time she did it, I wasn't sure and had to ask Bode, who gave me a vague answer.  So while I was searching for an exit ramp, Gianna took this long delay as complete disregard for her plight. She thought I was ignoring her cries.  And so the poor baby got even more upset, and threw up again. I guess she got car sick, and then "emotionally" sick.  It was icky and gross.  I was ill-prepared to clean up all that sickness.  My poor girl was so distraught (who likes throwing up?).  When I had changed her, and cleaned everything up the best I could, I announced that we would be on our way again. Bode looked over at Gianna and said, "Don't spray your milk like that again, okay, Gianna?"  

P-U did our car smell nice on the ride over to Aunt Dawnie's!  But we (finally) got there and seeing everyone made the "milk-spraying" trip worth it.  Smiles and hugs were exchanged. 

During our visit, the toy box was inspected, new toys were opened, more gifts were given, stories were read, tummies were tickled, and everyone giggled.

Nana enjoying her youngest grandson.

Gianna was more interested in playing with Aunt Dawnie's tchotchkes than the toys.

Uncle Craig came home from work and started his second shift as Chief Entertainer and Story Reader. He was also the Grill Master. He grilled delicious burgers and portobello mushrooms (for moi, merci!).   

While he was there, Bode worked on Aunt Dawnie's window treatments. Maybe this little guy has a future as an interior decorator (or not).



Just like Christmas, Gianna and Uncle Craig had their own special game going.  Uncle Craig would make a noise, Gianna would giggle and imitate him.  This went on for quite some time!  Gianna enjoyed  silly Uncle Craig.



I was worried how the babies would do overnight, sleeping in a new place.  They both did beautifully. Then again, they were probably so whipped by all the excitement and fun!

The next day we had a quiet breakfast and enjoyed a few more stories with Aunt Dawnie.  Then we hit the road, Jack.


Thankfully Gianna did not get car sick on the way back. We had books and music, but I turned out to be the entertainer/driver.  Bode had me tell him about a hundred different "Cars" stories while we drove.  I was having a hard time coming up with different scenarios for Lightening McQueen and Mater. Even so, I thought, "This is a memory."  We'd sing some songs. Then Bode would say, "Now I want you to tell me another story."  

We'll be back for more visits. The goal is that Bode and Gianna get to know their family, and that visiting is not a big deal but second nature.  I want them to know their Nana, their Aunts and Uncle.  I did not have that opportunity when I was younger because our family was spread out across the country.  So we are going to capitalize on our proximity to our "New York" family! 

Our weather has been beautiful.  We played outside yesterday for a long time.  The babies were definitely tired from the visit.  As usual, they were soooo good. I'm so blessed.



Have a happy Thursday!
xo
PS GO ORANGE!!!

Go Orange!

After school today

No comments:

Post a Comment