Friday, September 7, 2012

Look, don't touch



Bode is okay.  He won't let me clean the wound (of course). Any time he sees me peering at the wound, he moves away quickly (of course).  He looks like he's taken my kohl eye liner and scribbled out one eye brow (his left), and applied some neon yellow eye shadow, but other than that, he's doing great. He doesn't want to talk about the fall, or his eye brow. In fact, he'd rather just carry on like normal (or watch The Cat in the Hat, as seen here when Mommy needed to rest yesterday.)







Yesterday, we went to the plastic surgeon so that an "expert" could check out the damage.  Oh boy.  Bode was naturally terrified when we got there..  He clung to me and cried big crocodile tears. He begged me to take him home. I assured him that the good doctor was only going to look at him. I promised him that I would not let the doctor touch him. (big promise and I had to make good on it)  When the doctor entered the room, I cornered him and hissed, "He's suffering anxiety. Don't touch. Just look!"  This guy was great.  He made a big fuss over Gianna and her blue eyes. And then he looked over at Bode. He exclaimed, "Oh, you've got blue eyes, too! Can I see them?"  Bode held on tightly (and if you know what this boy had to hold onto, you know it wasn't easy to wrap his little arms around me and Nichoras) but let the doctor look at him.  The doctor promised that he would only look at him.  We decided on a date to remove the stitches.  And then I loudly asked the doctor, "So, what happens the next time we come back?  What does it feel like when you remove stitches from an eye brow?"  I wanted him to explain to Bode what it would feel like.  And the doctor looked at Bode and explained everything.  Bode just kept grabbing me and pleading, "I want to go, I want to go, please Mommy, I want to gooooo...."  so I don't think anything registered. I am already dreading the next visit. The doctor suggested that someone else hold Bode during suture removal, glancing at my stomach and adding, "...since you have another blue-eyed baby on the way."

We left the exam room after saying goodbye.  And on the way out, Bode and Gianna pillaged through a basket of stickers that was handed to them.  They also got bubbles.  And, we stopped for a treat. In my book, any time you have to endure an ordeal like the doctor (as a child, or the child's mother...), you deserve a treat.

A sweet scone for my sweet boy

Mac & cheese for Gianna


I've decided that I'm just going to keep Bode in a helmet forever.






Happy Friday, and stay safe.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment